Squirrel Population Increasing.

As a kid, my grandmother always cooked them with the heads…doves too.
My father-in-law loved deer brains and eggs. Taught my wife to eat them. I head shot them also until I convinced her that they had too much cholesterol for humans to eat. Then, CRC and other nerve disorders sealed the deal. Bone them out hanging now with no complaints.

My favorite recipe is like stated above, flour and pan fry, then simmer in gravy.
Last spring I tried a different twist: I cut them up and put them in the insta-pot until tender, THEN I breaded and fried them and made gravy. Worked well. I didn't write down how long it took in the insta pot though.
This was with rabbit, but the is the same as cooking squirrel.

When I was still single living in apartment out in suburbs, venison, squirrel and rabbit were on my grocery list! I had nothing one night ready to cook, looked out my kitchen window and couple rabbits in yard behind me which was into nice wooded area. What I didn't know was 2 fellas in apartment next to me were watching them drinking beer. All of a sudden, one of the rabbits jumped up into the air and laid dead right there (DRT?)! Yep, .177 air rifle dinnertime! They thought they saw a rabbit having a heart attack😂😂😂 like on Marlon Perkins! Then they saw me walk out pick it up and take inside. When I walked in they were throwing empty beer cans at me laughing. So ended up sharing fried rabbit with them since they had the beer! They loved it and wanted me to "get another one"!

So here are a couple so old I typed them on a Smith Corona manual typewriter. Yeah, I know, I gave it to Smithsonian.
0D0CF13D-0233-4C6D-B88A-52C90E77AFFB.jpeg

66B0B4BB-D6BF-4B84-A86C-3C9DBED82FA6.jpeg

Here is another one. I have a friend that is a Squirrel hunting fanatic. He cooks them in a crock pot with BBQ sauce and a little liquid smoke. Then fishes out the bones and makes sandwiches. Really you can use squirrel for anything you would use chicken for, you just have to deal with all the little bones somehow. Be a creative cook!! Think of Squirrel as dark meat chicken and rabbit as white meat. You can have fun experimenting. They are both easy to come by.