Squirrel Attack

Yeah, one night last week our attack dog let out a grown and went out the back door skidding on all 4 corners. He's a 10" Pomeranian named Killerdawg. The little yellow pooch has a close haircut trim that leaves him a big black mane like an African Lion. I pulled my boots on and went out right behind him. I knew something was going to need to be rescued. Before I could clear the back door, the little varmint came back at us with his head & face drenched in blood. Then he spun around and ripped out thru the back door as if to say "Come on, Dad! You don't want to miss this fight!" He had a big boar raccoon tree'd in the rhododendron bush. Probably a 30 or 40 pounder. That raccoon was mad as H** and growling for all he was worth. I chased the ringtail out by throwing a ladder atop the rhododendron a couple of times, then climbing the ladder and falling into the rhody. The old 'coon bailed out of the rhody and made his escape over the chain link with Killerdawg right on his tail. Upshot of the event, the 'coon made good his escape. Killerdawg was prancing around the house thoroughly pleased with himself. After a few treats and hosing him down, a careful inspection did not show any damage to the dog, so the raccoon must have had the worst of it and shed all that blood. I've never let him lose a fight, save the once he went after me. His previous Mama taught him to hate all men in general and me in particular. Go figure! After trying to swallow my Size 10, he figured there was no future in it. He's not dumb, just real "sporting" when it comes to a fight. He knows if the Rottweiler won't back down from his lion's roar that Dad will be right there to save him. He's no fighter to look at him; just cute as a bugs ear, confident s the dickens and always begging for a treat. But bring along a Big Dog and you'd swear he's a cross 'tween a Pomeranian and an Alligator, with some Lion thrown in to spice up the fight!

This will re-open the long heated debate, what to carry for backcountry squirrel protection. Thank God you survived! Do you think maybe if you had 16 +1 you would have stayed unscathed or maybe a single well placed 44 mag hardcast from the trusty revolver would have saved the bloodshed?
How about a large caliber dog?

That is crazy that a squirrel would go all carnivore on a human. Wonder if it was trying to nest in or around the house? But still it deserves to be whacked.
I'll be caring a scar on my leg and in mind for looong time!
Have to go back to WAR!

Attachments

• SBR Supressed.jpg
    SBR Supressed.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 73
  • TC Classic Right side 22.jpg
    TC Classic Right side 22.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 17hmr.jpg
    17hmr.jpg
    713.5 KB · Views: 74
Yeah, one night last week our attack dog let out a grown and went out the back door skidding on all 4 corners. He's a 10" Pomeranian named Killerdawg. The little yellow pooch has a close haircut trim that leaves him a big black mane like an African Lion. I pulled my boots on and went out right behind him. I knew something was going to need to be rescued. Before I could clear the back door, the little varmint came back at us with his head & face drenched in blood. Then he spun around and ripped out thru the back door as if to say "Come on, Dad! You don't want to miss this fight!" He had a big boar raccoon tree'd in the rhododendron bush. Probably a 30 or 40 pounder. That raccoon was mad as H** and growling for all he was worth. I chased the ringtail out by throwing a ladder atop the rhododendron a couple of times, then climbing the ladder and falling into the rhody. The old 'coon bailed out of the rhody and made his escape over the chain link with Killerdawg right on his tail. Upshot of the event, the 'coon made good his escape. Killerdawg was prancing around the house thoroughly pleased with himself. After a few treats and hosing him down, a careful inspection did not show any damage to the dog, so the raccoon must have had the worst of it and shed all that blood. I've never let him lose a fight, save the once he went after me. His previous Mama taught him to hate all men in general and me in particular. Go figure! After trying to swallow my Size 10, he figured there was no future in it. He's not dumb, just real "sporting" when it comes to a fight. He knows if the Rottweiler won't back down from his lion's roar that Dad will be right there to save him. He's no fighter to look at him; just cute as a bugs ear, confident s the dickens and always begging for a treat. But bring along a Big Dog and you'd swear he's a cross 'tween a Pomeranian and an Alligator, with some Lion thrown in to spice up the fight!
Got to watch those coons. I have seen them kill a dog. The coons teeth are like serrated razor knives. Now for the most part we in the country with all animals except bear. Jill had several Possums ad coons that she fed and still feeds in the garage and back deck. They get along with the cats and Samson Tolerates them.
When we first moved here, we had all animals living here. The new house was vacant for a year. Our grass yard is small maybe 30' to 40' around the house then woods. Deer bed down in our back and side yards. We got along with all the animals. Jill was feeding everyone. Had squirrels, possums, coons, birds on our back dec all the time.
Things didn't get bad until the squirrels ate the wiring harness in my truck and cost $2k then also ate the wiring in my tractor. I went to war and started killing every squirrel. Killed several hundred
Samson hates Yotes and squirrels. Cassie our new pup is just figuring things out. Her first experience with a squirrel was during this event. The cats eat side by side with the Possums and Coons. Now when we Had Eddie a Rhodesian Ridgeback mix Shepard -he hated Possums and Coons. As soon as he seen them, they were dispatched.
The past few years it has been "live and let live" with the exception of the cats of Samson snatching a squirrel or two.
I was just unlucky to be in the way for the squirrel to try to escape. I am lucky that the squirrel didn't try to keep running up my leg and under my shorts😧. Samson grabbed him so fast. Looking at the gash in my leg, which I am still cleaning, I may have been nipped from Samson when he grabbed the beast.

My wife calls me there is a ground squirrel in gas grill. She was going to light it so it would be up to temp. Got lots of them around so not surprised. She could hear scratching so she didn't want to mess with a killer ground squirrel.

So I grab my son's old Crossman's pump air rifle that has been laying around for years figuring I was going to take out that monster ground squirrel or bird that somehow got up into it. It was a nice Weber (notice I said was) and I decided to take cover off the grill. There was some noise but no big deal. I get my trusty Crossman ready to take out that vicous varmit ground squirrel cowering in the corner (at least that is what I thought in my mind) and lifted the front bar grill handle. Got it up about a foot or so and realized the 10# woodchuck that was snarling at me probably didn't take too kindly to me lifting the top on the grill. When you are only 18" away from a "killer" like this you tend to drop the grill and run like you know.......My wife is yelling and the woodchuck is trying its best to get out which it can't so the grill is bouncing around on patio. So I figure I will teach this critter a lesson and snap a pellet into it to encourage it to leave. I slowly lifted the grill top about an inch and stuck barrel into gap and tossed in a round. Not well received. Bounced around a bit making all sorts of noise. I went down to basement got some rope to tie off the handle and pull the top open while I was standing well behind it...Lifted the cover and woodchuck was laying there on grill with head between legs and not moving. 1:1,000,000 shot right between the eyes. Smoked him right there in grill. So you might say fresh "ground chuck" on grill.

I have pic somewhere need to find it😂

My wife calls me there is a ground squirrel in gas grill. She was going to light it so it would be up to temp. Got lots of them around so not surprised. She could hear scratching so she didn't want to mess with a killer ground squirrel.

So I grab my son's old Crossman's pump air rifle that has been laying around for years figuring I was going to take out that monster ground squirrel or bird that somehow got up into it. It was a nice Weber (notice I said was) and I decided to take cover off the grill. There was some noise but no big deal. I get my trusty Crossman ready to take out that vicous varmit ground squirrel cowering in the corner (at least that is what I thought in my mind) and lifted the front bar grill handle. Got it up about a foot or so and realized the 10# woodchuck that was snarling at me probably didn't take too kindly to me lifting the top on the grill. When you are only 18" away from a "killer" like this you tend to drop the grill and run like you know.......My wife is yelling and the woodchuck is trying its best to get out which it can't so the grill is bouncing around on patio. So I figure I will teach this critter a lesson and snap a pellet into it to encourage it to leave. I slowly lifted the grill top about an inch and stuck barrel into gap and tossed in a round. Not well received. Bounced around a bit making all sorts of noise. I went down to basement got some rope to tie off the handle and pull the top open while I was standing well behind it...Lifted the cover and woodchuck was laying there on grill with head between legs and not moving. 1:1,000,000 shot right between the eyes. Smoked him right there in grill. So you might say fresh "ground chuck" on grill.

Craig
Good story
Could have just turned on the gas and "Gassed Him"
You are lucky that it didn't grab a hold of your wife or you. Those teeth and claws would have sent you to the ER.
Thank God for the god old Crossman!
How the heck did climb into your grill?

a few yrs back, I was down the farm one day taking a walk with my then 80 lb black lab, he was an outstanding upland bird dog, the best I ever had and hunted over!
but he knew the difference between hunting and not, and when NOT hunting, he wouldn;t hurt a fly, and always RAN to me looking for protection from things ,
any how, were walking down a field to go check on a trail camera, and we come across this young woodchuck/groundhog!
its in the middle of the road were walking down, and of course being my dog always LEAD the way, he found it, the two lock eye's
my dog again harmless to critters we ain;t hunting!
well, after a few seconds, the groundhog starts to charge my dog, all the while holding a big green something in its mouth, amazing how much noise the little critter could make, sounding like a viscous bigger critter too boot!
well, my dog being as he was, he hit the reverse button hard and came a running to me for protection, the whole while this groundhog in high pursuit , now charging at me, as my dog was now, hiding behind me !, HAHA!
ME< I ainl;t scared of many things, and I was packing a pistol, but didn;t feel the need to shoot the little bugger,
when it got to a ft or so away, I stuck my foot in its face to stop its charge, and the little bugger kept growling and making funny noises
my poor dog peaking at it from behind me, tail a wagging a 100 mph HAHA!

well, the little bugger didn;t want to back up and just stayed there making a fuss, so, me and the dog just walk around it

funny part was the whole time, this groundhog started its fuss, it never let go of the meal it was holding into !!I even took a pic of it, as I thought it was rather funny!

he, or she just wouldn;t give up on its meal!, no matter about me, or my dog!, or how much noise it made!
it wanted that green leafy meal, yet sure wanted to make it seam like it wanted a fight!
and a few pic's of my dog, , like Is aid, when NOT hunting, he was perfect about anything, wouldn;t hurt a fly!, a pure joy to have as best friend! but man he could find pheasant /grouse, woodcock, when we did hunt!(ducks and geese too, but I was never that big into waterfowl hunting)

Attachments

• buster 330.JPG
    buster 330.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 82
  • buster 331.JPG
    buster 331.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
  • buster turkey 1.jpg
    buster turkey 1.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 80
  • buster turkey 7.jpg
    buster turkey 7.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    691.9 KB · Views: 83
a few yrs back, I was down the farm one day taking a walk with my then 80 lb black lab, he was an outstanding upland bird dog, the best I ever had and hunted over!
but he knew the difference between hunting and not, and when NOT hunting, he wouldn;t hurt a fly, and always RAN to me looking for protection from things ,
any how, were walking down a field to go check on a trail camera, and we come across this young woodchuck/groundhog!
its in the middle of the road were walking down, and of course being my dog always LEAD the way, he found it, the two lock eye's
my dog again harmless to critters we ain;t hunting!
well, after a few seconds, the groundhog starts to charge my dog, all the while holding a big green something in its mouth, amazing how much noise the little critter could make, sounding like a viscous bigger critter too boot!
well, my dog being as he was, he hit the reverse button hard and came a running to me for protection, the whole while this groundhog in high pursuit , now charging at me, as my dog was now, hiding behind me !, HAHA!
ME< I ainl;t scared of many things, and I was packing a pistol, but didn;t feel the need to shoot the little bugger,
when it got to a ft or so away, I stuck my foot in its face to stop its charge, and the little bugger kept growling and making funny noises
my poor dog peaking at it from behind me, tail a wagging a 100 mph HAHA!

well, the little bugger didn;t want to back up and just stayed there making a fuss, so, me and the dog just walk around it

funny part was the whole time, this groundhog started its fuss, it never let go of the meal it was holding into !!I even took a pic of it, as I thought it was rather funny!

he, or she just wouldn;t give up on its meal!, no matter about me, or my dog!, or how much noise it made!
it wanted that green leafy meal, yet sure wanted to make it seam like it wanted a fight!
and a few pic's of my dog, , like Is aid, when NOT hunting, he was perfect about anything, wouldn;t hurt a fly!, a pure joy to have as best friend! but man he could find pheasant /grouse, woodcock, when we did hunt!(ducks and geese too, but I was never that big into waterfowl hunting)
Amazing!!! Love that the turkey and your dog got along so well!

Amazing!!! Love that the turkey and your dog got along so well!
yeah he was a one in a million dog, dearly missed still, since his passing a few yrs back now!
and them turkeys, they were about for 3 yrs, showed up almost every day , some times a few times a day!
then one day they all disappeared and never seen any of them again, was a group of about a dozen gobblers, they were always together even in mating season, , they would eat out of your hand too, no fear of people, and they were 100% wild birds, that roamed the rural neighbor hood!
and MAN would they gobble there brains out at all sorts of odd sounds, ALL yr round too, , turning on an air compressor, would get wild out burst of gobbles , crazy buggers they were! and they had some nice beards too, one winter was bad and half of them broke off that winter, was pretty cool to see that happen!
they had NO fear of people or dogs or cats, too, they were brave turkeys, maybe why they disappeared, meet up with something UN friendly back to them, but still found it odd they ALL went MIA the same time,I sort of think someone poisoned them, as they were pretty messy at times when they would walk down a drive way and all of them left a deposit behind! HAHA!