Square behind the rifle or no?

I think that if you square up a little more, get your chest up a little, "build the bridge" like above, and put a muzzle brake on it you shouldn't have a problem spotting your impacts as long as conditions allow. Also dialing your power back can help significantly. The wider FOV helps quite a bit.

Start at 3:00. This is what I do (and started doing after watching this a couple years ago) and it works for me.

I've watched the videos you guys have linked. I actually check out Mark and Sam on the youtube quite a bit.

I hadn't considered head tilt until CaptRB said something. That cheek pad I have is real thick and comfy, but the thickness extends down the side of the stock a bit. I'm guessing that's what causes me to have to roll my head over.

Bradley Creek and Karsten are expensive. I'm going to order some kydex and see what I can do. I've made a couple of knife sheaths before so I think I can handle a cheek piece. I don't want to start adding a bunch of weight to the rifle. I still like to hunt with it and its already a bit to porky.

I've watched the videos you guys have linked. I actually check out Mark and Sam on the youtube quite a bit.

I hadn't considered head tilt until CaptRB said something. That cheek pad I have is real thick and comfy, but the thickness extends down the side of the stock a bit. I'm guessing that's what causes me to have to roll my head over.

Bradley Creek and Karsten are expensive. I'm going to order some kydex and see what I can do. I've made a couple of knife sheaths before so I think I can handle a cheek piece. I don't want to start adding a bunch of weight to the rifle. I still like to hunt with it and its already a bit to porky.
The Karsten for me is too thick causing me to roll over. I cannot do that as I had my retina detach from recoil years ago and I don't want it to happen again. If you go with akydex type use a carrige bolt on the side your on and cut the kydex at the edge of the stock line. Mount the rifle are you centered? if not keep trimming till you are centered in the scope. Your kydex will now only have one side the off side! XLR sells the foam rubber they use for like 2.00 plus shipping. You can make it from aluminum or anything else that you can form to that shape ie 3d printer etc.
The more body you have behind the gun the better you will handle the recoil and closer to the target after the recoil impulse is over. 2moa is the goal. I have 6moa with a 6.7# 270 running 3140fps/130. When I ran a 300 before brakes were in vogue my 14# all up 300 win with a 190@2960 I was 3-4moa off my pack. Bipods were not around yet either. I',m 5'7 on my license and 140 soaking wet when I ran that 300 Quite a bit more today. Some people like to be higher I'm not that way because I learned prone with a sling and I used my arm/elbow off the ground with the toe on the ground. Being short helped but if I was off to the side I wouldn't handle the recoil well enough because I just didn't have the mass others had.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.