Springfield M1A

lorvan

Someone know as it shoot ( the M1A usual, not he National match one ) and if it is good for long range shooting? I have seen one on 308 win almost new..

Lorenzo

I doubt a standard M1A would be accurate enough, even if fit with the best barrel available. Accuracy varies across them and will typically be about 1 inch at 100 yards, 10 to 15 inches at 600. To say nothing of the standard 5-pound trigger; it's a long ways from being able to shoot well with. And the standard rear sight on them has 1/2 MOA or more of windage and elevation slop; add that to the rifle's inheirant accuracy and things get even worse.

A completely reworked M1A with good handloads using new cases (never reload fired cases from a service rifle; they will not be as accurate as new ones) will be much more accurate. The best of them will shoot under 5 inches at 600 yards with proper handloads. But for the same cost, one could get a bolt action rifle that shot more accurate and be able to shoot the same cases over and over. And you wouldn't have to find magazines that produced best accuracy.

The commercial M1A rifle from Springfield Armory was never the "National Match" version of the military M14 rifle. Thompson-Ramo-Woolridge made the M14 National Match version (stamped on the hump, "M14NM") for the US armed forces and was a semiauto only version that could not accept the full auto kit. The M1A is a commercial version of this rifle, but not normally made to the same specifications.

I think that you are right.
A friend of mine, that was a sniper in vietnam have told me the same thing ( he use for hunting a Weatherby Vanguard in 7 rem. and a remington semiauto in 30.06 )
I have bolt action rifles that are very accurate, but I try to find a semi auto one that may be almost the same accurate so that I can do a second shoot if the first is missed or it is not good enough.. but I do not find one.

Lorenzo

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.