springfield and armory

asahi

I am buying a fnh spr as rifle i need a good scope for it the price i am looking at spending is about $500. Is SPRINGFIELD AND ARMORY very good scopes. And at what size of scope 3 x 12 42mm or what else. I am new at this so any help I would really appricated it. And the cal. of the gun is 300wsm. The purpose of the gun compition and hunting.
confused.gif

I have only used the 6-20x56 model with mildots. It is the older one with the adjustable objective being on the barrel. I like it alot and will be in the market to try the newer 6-20 that has the side focus.

do a search on this and other BBS and you will find the reviews are mixed. some really likes the Springfield scopes, others think the reliability are less than normal. You can pick-up new Leupold tactial scopes on eBay for around $500.

Also, isn't the FN SPR a little too heavy for hunting purpose?

yeah when I was in the market for scopes about 2-3 months ago I was looking at SA as well. So I called in to ask some questions. It sounded like I was talking to someone in one of those huge customer service centers like when you call into the long distance company. lol The girl I talked to of course didn't know anything. I called in again and got the same kind of responses.
Cheap scopes imo and poor service and to think what would happen if I had a problem.
grin.gif

btw - I bought a leupold M1 LR and it sucked so I sold it and bought a nightforce NXS which kicks total butt!
smile.gif
As far as optics go bushnell is just as good as swarovski, zeiss, S&B. Leupold stinks.
[ 03-22-2004: Message edited by: trader388 ]

[ 03-22-2004: Message edited by: trader388 ]

My advice to you would be forget S.A I believe they are made by or in the same factory as Hakko.I had to return one to Tokyo Japan with the words it will be fixed in a month.3 months nothing and no up dates. A guy on here waited 6months for a scope to be fixed so I bought a I.O.R.
And still waiting !

My Dad just had his parallax "fixed" by SA. It was back in a reasonable amount of time, week or two. Why it developed a huge parallax problem is beyond me, but it's being sent back AGAIN. Parallax free, but groups went all over hell with it in the most accurate AR30 of his. It worked for a range session or two I guess.

Seriously, their scopes are a pain in the ***, look elsewhere and be happy.

He's got another one on his 338 WSM, and God only knows how, but he shot a .5" or so 3 shot group with it yesterday at 300 yards using 4831 and 225 Accubonds. So far that one's holding up. Got my fingers crossed for him!
grin.gif

Gotta stick up for my Springfield. Don't fear the Springfield. I bought one after reading an evalutaion of six or seven scopes and only the Springfield and Leupold showed 100% true tracking. Burris was not bad either. I bought a 4-14X56 for about $400 from the bargain cave at Cabelas. It looked like someone had dropped it on the top turret (scratch) and returned it. All functioned well, but elevation turret was hard to turn and the index ring on the windage came loose. I sent it in and it was back in a week or two good as new.

i was thinking about putting a Tasco SS 10x scope on my stock Savage varmint. It looks good and its cheap. Currently i have a BSA contender on it 6-24x and it works fine but it doesnt hold up to much outdoors. its not like it impairs the accuracy. At 100yards i can shoot 5 shot groups 1cm center to center with a Stock savage in .270WSM, and im fourteen so the need of a high priced swavorski tactical or something like that is less than paramount. If anyone knows their stuff and could direct me to something worth it id appreciate it.

i was thinking about putting a Tasco SS 10x scope on my stock Savage varmint. It looks good and its cheap. Currently i have a BSA contender on it 6-24x and it works fine but it doesnt hold up to much outdoors. its not like it impairs the accuracy. At 100yards i can shoot 5 shot groups 1cm center to center with a Stock savage in .270WSM, and im fourteen so the need of a high priced swavorski tactical or something like that is less than paramount. If anyone knows their stuff and could direct me to something worth it id appreciate it.

Browsing for a friend I found the new Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50LR (30mm) with the B&C reticle a bit over $500 at Bruno's Shooters Supply. A bargin!! They're suppose to be in stock by late May - June 1.
smile.gif

Good luck, but I don't recommend the SA.
wink.gif

USMC SNIPER:

If it were me and I were you, I would be looking at two possibilities, with the idea of saving up just a little longer.

Leupold's new tactical scopes offer good value for money in the $800+ range. Now I know $800 is more than $800, but the VX3 3-9x36 or a slightly earlier model 3.5-10x40 Mil dot are fine scopes with 30mm tubes and are a fairly decent optic for the money, and would provide significantly better functional utility (an engineering term) than lesser scopes.

D.
smile.gif

Mark4_3-9x36_MRT_M1_IR_XL.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.