Spring Black Bear with 7saum

Will you be eating the meat from "this old sow"?
I've tracked and photographed countless black bears but never killed or eaten meat from one. An acquaintance who is a hunting guide once told me there's almost no way to make them palatable.
Black bear is good , have cooked back straps on the grill . Take the meat in and have it made into
hunter sticks , breakfast sauage. Bear is greasy by its self but have friends cure it like a ham and
say its good

It seems to depend on age and diet. I shot a spring bear that I don't believe hibernated. It had 4" of fat on its back. My granddaughter said it was the best meat she'd ever eaten. It was eating dandelions. It was tagged, so I found out its history. It had broken into a building at Taos ski valley, which is supposed to be a death sentence. Instead they released it 200 miles from where I shot it.

I've eaten old bears that ended up as dog food, but they are usually good. People tend to lose their appetiite when they hang them and skin them. Disturbingly human looking.

Your hunt report has gotten my excitement up for this year's spring bear trip to northern Sask. I installed the 9.3 x 62 barrel on one of my commercial mausers two weeks ago and worked up a load with Barnes last week. I ordered some Hammers a few days ago and may get a load worked for them if I get a chance.

I have had good luck with both Barnes and Hammers on bear out of my 375 Ruger, so I am not worried about either bullet especially given ranges on baited bears in the dense forest.

The taste of bear depends almost entirely on what they have been eating.
Black bears eat a lot of vegetation and insects, but if they get into blueberries, it actually turns their fat a light shade of blue and imparts a slight blueberry flavor.
If a brown bear is eating fish, well, you know how this will go.
Steven Rinella told a great story of one of his first bears. After butchering and packing, they tried the meat. It tasted like rotten meat. Why? The bear had apparently been eating a lot of roadkill.
And yes, 165 is the magic number to cook to.

Congrats, that is awesome! I love to see the positive reports on the 7SAUM. I just built one myself and have good loads developed with the ELDM and Berger Elites, can't wait for fall.

Congrats, that is awesome! I love to see the positive reports on the 7SAUM. I just built one myself and have good loads developed with the ELDM and Berger Elites, can't wait for fall.
I've been happy with mine so far!
Ya lots of excellent bullet choices as well.
My brother exclusively uses the 180eldm in his 18" 7saum and kills a lot of stuff with it. Honestly, I'm using the 180 Berger hybrid because it's what I could find at the time.
I would not hesitate to hunt with any of the 162,168,175 or 180 Bergers or ELDMs in the 2800-2950fps range

Recent Posts