Spring Bear Hunt

JimFromTN

I am starting to plan a spring bear hunt hopefully for next year. I won't have time to do any scouting so I was planning on going with an outfitter. I am really hoping to find a reasonably priced spot and stalk hunt. I am leaning towards Idaho but I am open to suggestions. Does anyone have personal experience with outfitters?

Have you considered BC?

Usually you can see more bears in a day, than a week in Idaho.

Everybody has a price limit, sometimes a bit more can be worth it though.

We did an Alaska combo spring bear and fishing on the lower Kenai peninsula with a hunt transporter (you self-guide while hunting), this last spring, with my two adult sons. There were six hunters on a 50 ft boat. We spent the week sleeping on the boat hunting and fishing during the day (mostly hunting). They would skiff us out to wherever we wanted to go and retrieve us when we radioed in for pickup. We were a little bit early. Ours was the first trip of the season, but we had to schedule then due to our own scheduling constraints. There were loads of black bear, no brown, no sows w/cubs, all boars. Most were still up on the slopes, coming down from hibernating and were challenging to get in range with a clear line of sight. One to two weeks later would have probably been ideal for hunting. The fishing was incredible. The crew was great and it was a fantastic trip. I would not hesitate to do it again.

IMG_0290.jpg
IMG_0284.jpg IMG_0311.jpg
IMG_7729.jpg P4260024.jpg

Last edited:
We did an Alaska combo spring bear and fishing on the lower Kenai peninsula with a hunt transporter (you self-guide while hunting), this last spring, with my two adult sons. There were six hunters on a 50 ft boat. We spent the week sleeping on the boat hunting and fishing during the day (mostly hunting). They would skiff us out to wherever we wanted to go and retrieve us when we radioed in for pickup. We were a little bit early. Ours was the first trip of the season, but we had to schedule then due to our own scheduling constraints. There were loads of black bear, no brown, no sows w/cubs, all boars. Most were still up on the slopes, coming down from hibernating and were challenging to get in range with a clear line of sight. One to two weeks later would have probably been ideal for hunting. The fishing was incredible. The crew was great and it was a fantastic trip. I would not hesitate to do it again.

View attachment 289008
View attachment 289010 View attachment 289011
View attachment 289012 View attachment 289013

Now that looks like a lot of fun !!!!!!

I went with these guys back in September,
https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Sports---Recreation/Deep-Country-Outfitters-108556828039845/
and I am going back next year. It was a lot of fun, I haven't had time to write up my story yet, but I am the one that used a TC Contender, and my friend Eric used a 44 revolver and a bow to take 2 bears. It was the first time I ever went bear hunting, my bear was 5 1/2 ft tall and weighed over 300lbs and my friend Eric took his #29 and 30. They do spring and fall hunts. I highly recommend them.
Tarey

I am starting to plan a spring bear hunt hopefully for next year. I won't have time to do any scouting so I was planning on going with an outfitter. I am really hoping to find a reasonably priced spot and stalk hunt. I am leaning towards Idaho but I am open to suggestions. Does anyone have personal experience with outfitters?

Not a rule, but generally spot and stalk hunts are a fair bit more than baited hunts. Just something to consider. If you don't mind me asking, what do you consider reasonably priced?

I went with these guys back in September,
https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Sports---Recreation/Deep-Country-Outfitters-108556828039845/
and I am going back next year. It was a lot of fun, I haven't had time to write up my story yet, but I am the one that used a TC Contender, and my friend Eric used a 44 revolver and a bow to take 2 bears. It was the first time I ever went bear hunting, my bear was 5 1/2 ft tall and weighed over 300lbs and my friend Eric took his #29 and 30. They do spring and fall hunts. I highly recommend them.
Tarey

Do they not have a website? I don't do facebook

I'm wondering what their prices are and if they do spot and stalk style hunts.

Not a rule, but generally spot and stalk hunts are a fair bit more than baited hunts. Just something to consider. If you don't mind me asking, what do you consider reasonably priced?
I have noticed that hunting over bait is typically cheaper than spot and stalk. If I can't find a spot and stalk in my price range, I would consider hunting over bait. As for reasonably priced, Somewhere in the $3500 range for a spot and stalk, $2500 for over bait.