Spreadsheet to determine best long range hunting cartridge

Very neat spread sheet. But looking through it I find a lot of the BC numbers are of by a bit. Namely the Hornady ones. The Hornady 180 ELDM is .749 if you go by their stepped BC numbers. The one used on the chart is what they "advertise" Till you look at the Stepped BC chart.

Just something I noticed. Very neat chart for sure though!

Noticed a few other mistakes, 7mm STW published load for 168 gr ABLR velocity for 28" barrel is 3,352 fps at 7,000 ' alt. Nosler 26 28" barrel 142gr ABLR is 3,423 fps at 7,000 ' alt

Noticed a few other mistakes, 7mm STW published load for 168 gr ABLR velocity for 28" barrel is 3,352 fps at 7,000 ' alt. Nosler 26 28" barrel 142gr ABLR is 3,423 fps at 7,000 ' alt
I believe to keep all things equal, I tried to keep velocities at 26 inch barrel and 6000 ft elevation. Not sure if that accounts fully for the discrepancy you speak of. Otherwise, the "factory" velocities were pulled from the manufacture websites. The "handload" designations are just that... loads/muzzle velocities given to me by others, or found elsewhere other than manufactures websites.

Very neat spread sheet. But looking through it I find a lot of the BC numbers are of by a bit. Namely the Hornady ones. The Hornady 180 ELDM is .749 if you go by their stepped BC numbers. The one used on the chart is what they "advertise" Till you look at the Stepped BC chart.

Just something I noticed. Very neat chart for sure though!
Im not sure, but I think that chart is a recent addition to the Hornady website. I know I had not seen it back when I had first created this chart. However, I used advertised BCs for all manufactures to keep all things equal. It could be useful to have a separate chart to see and compare the real world BCs achieved by the varying manufactures and bullet options.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts