Spreadsheet to compare rifle scope weights for lightweight build

My apologies for not updating the list. I hadn't seen a lot of activity on it, so I had assumed that not many folks found it very helpful.

Super helpful. Every now and again a member here goes well above and beyond to create genuinely useful information like this.

Thanks for taking the time to do so. Many of us have already downloaded this and use it for reference.

My apologies for not updating the list. I hadn't seen a lot of activity on it, so I had assumed that not many folks found it very helpful.

If you are looking for lightweight scopes, my favorite one of late is the Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50 MOA. At under 22oz, it has FFP reticle, illuminated reticle, Christmas tree style reticle, zero stop, capped windage, and an impressive zoom range. It will be replacing my swaro z5 3-18, as the extra features for a 6oz weight penalty are more than worth it on my hunting rifles.

Like the above poster, I like the looks of the SWFA ultralight, but am a bit nervous about the limited eye relief. The leupold 1.5-4x20 vx freedom with the MOA ring reticle looks interesting at a similar weight and better eye relief. For me, it would be going on a sub 6lb 308win. I also think the leupold vx3hd 1.5-5x20 with cds could be a winner, but it needs a bdc or something other than the duplex reticle.
I have Swaro scopes and recently got a Vortex LHT 4.5-22. Unless you need the features of the LHT I could never pay the glass penalty to go from Swaro to Vortex on a hunting rifle.

I have Swaro scopes and recently got a Vortex LHT 4.5-22. Unless you need the features of the LHT I could never pay the glass penalty to go from Swaro to Vortex on a hunting rifle.
For me, it came down to the features. My z5 has great glass no doubt, but is lack of other features has always limited its utility for me. If swaro had combined their brh reticle with the adjustable turrets, it would have made a difference for me. I find the limitation in the adjustment range with the little 1 inch tube to be too constraining without the ability to also use a reticle for ranging. (I believe there are some aftermarket options to remove the swaro zero stop to add more range, but never tried) That and I've come to appreciate more and more the utility of a FFP scope over 2nd focal plane. Illuminated reticles aren't a deal maker or breaker for me, but again I find myself appreciating having it more often than not.

If you are looking for lightweight scopes, my favorite one of late is the Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50 MOA. At under 22oz, it has FFP reticle, illuminated reticle, Christmas tree style reticle, zero stop, capped windage, and an impressive zoom range. It will be replacing my swaro z5 3-18, as the extra features for a 6oz weight penalty are more than worth it on my hunting rifles.

Like the above poster, I like the looks of the SWFA ultralight, but am a bit nervous about the limited eye relief. The leupold 1.5-4x20 vx freedom with the MOA ring reticle looks interesting at a similar weight and better eye relief. For me, it would be going on a sub 6lb 308win. I also think the leupold vx3hd 1.5-5x20 with cds could be a winner, but it needs a bdc or something other than the duplex reticle.
If you want to try the Vortex, take the swaro with you as a back up. I tried a couple of the Razors because I liked all the features too. After sending them both back, twice each, I sold them new in box when they came back the second time. I don't abuse equipment but how we hunt does stress gear. The Vortex did not stand up. Might be fine in a blind but for horseback, flying, jet boats they really aren't up to that type of use. If Nightforce wasnt so darn heavy I would probably use nothing else but after boating in u still have to pack the gun up the mountain.

Last edited:
If you want to try the Vortex, take the swaro with you as a back up. I tried a couple of the Razors because I liked all the features too. After sending them both back, twice each, I sold them new in box when they came back the second time. I don't abuse equipment but how we hunt does stress gear. The Vortex did not stand up. Might be fine in a blind but for horseback, flying, jet boats they really aren't up to that type of use. If Nightforce wasnt so darn heavy I would probably use nothing else but after boating in u still have to pack the gun up the mountain.
I dont think my little 1 inch tube z5 would stand up to any abuse my vortex couldn't stand up to either. Vortex feels more solid and robust side by side in my limited opinion. But just curious, what went wrong with your razors?

For me, it came down to the features. My z5 has great glass no doubt, but is lack of other features has always limited its utility for me. If swaro had combined their brh reticle with the adjustable turrets, it would have made a difference for me. I find the limitation in the adjustment range with the little 1 inch tube to be too constraining without the ability to also use a reticle for ranging. (I believe there are some aftermarket options to remove the swaro zero stop to add more range, but never tried) That and I've come to appreciate more and more the utility of a FFP scope over 2nd focal plane. Illuminated reticles aren't a deal maker or breaker for me, but again I find myself appreciating having it more often than not.
You can buy the z5 brh and then send it in to add the turrets. Yes the zero stop m9d works just fine. It's not idiot proof but it is very manageable.