Spreadsheet for reloading

Here is a spread sheet that I use to distribute my limited powder stocks among 4 different cartridges - .300 WM, 178ELDM; .243 Win, 87 VMAX; .22-.250, 75 ELDM; 6mm AI, 87 VMAX. All loaded with some what available Alliant 4000MR ball powder. All loads shown are conservative & work well. Alliant touts 4000MR for use in the .300WM and also has 4000MR data for the .243 W. 4000MR is sort of an unappreciated propellant.

The total amount of powder is determined - then, the spread sheet allows charge weight, & number of rounds for each cartridge to be adjusted.

Running out of powder is shown by red numbers in the powder remaining slots.

Any combo of 4 cartridges, powder charge weights may be used.

Screenshot (251).png

Sending Open Office spread sheets to others via email.

Close Open Office spread sheet.

Locate Open Office spread sheet under documents on host computer & double click -this will get you into excel in Micro-Soft Office One Drive.

Go to file section in excel task bar, click; then find "send" & click.

Enter recipients email address and should you want to enable "write" access enable this.

Send link to recipient via email & recipient can then down load excel spread sheet to his/her computer by going the "re-name spread sheet" then clicking on download to enable working off-line.

I use this spread sheet before buying bullets. I also check out my rifle barrel twist rates using a cleaning rod having a lightly oiled tight fitting patch fitted over a pinned jag, a strip of masking tape, a felt tip pen & a ruler. I once had a 6.5-06 PacNor barrel that should have been a 9 twist & it would not shoot 140 Hornady HP BT bullets while my other 9 twist 6.5 rifles would. Upon checking out the 6.5 PacNor barrel I discovered it was actually a 9 3/4 twist. It shot 120's incredibly well & I continued to happily shoot it.

Screenshot (253).png

Here is a spread sheet that I use to get probability estimates like "bell shaped curve" low to hi end.

It can be used for velocity, powder charge, & ogive length. Spread sheet use gives some idea of what to expect with a batch of ammo, like 100 to 1000 rounds. Data made up for display purposes. The sample size was cut off at 20.

Screenshot (254).png

Last edited:
It depends on what a guy is trying to accomplish.
10 years ago I was using a spread sheet when I tried to work up ever powder and ever bullet combination in 9mm to case failure or case full.

These spread sheets look like a Sierra load book.
I really like the Rifle Sierra data, but that is not how I am currently organizing.

Right now I have hundreds of guns with ~ 60 different cartridges. I write up range reports and email them to friends. Each time I am about to do something new, I do a search on that gun and that cartridge to see where I left off.

Most guys organize their reloading with shelves of dies and shelves of bullets.
I have a file folder box with the dies and brass for a cartridge. I have the bullets in another file folder box. This way everything for a project is already kitted up.
I'd like to do that for .40S&W.

1885 Highwall 28" barrel 1 in 10 twist 35 Whelen 220 grain Hammer Hunter 64 grains Power Pro Varmint Federal 215 primer 2911 FPS average velocity

20211013_140314.jpg
20211013_140617.jpg
20211013_140758.jpg

Last edited:
I was working on the Tornado jet fighter radar warning power supply converters in 1988 with a Lotus 123 spreadsheet on an IBM 486. Then the powers that brought me the computer ruled I must use Excel. With 123, I already had long formulas for power and heat in every cell on 3000 electronic components. They said Excel was inconvenient, but more powerful. I was already doing lots of math in 123. Outside of having a bootleg copy of 123, I was stuck with Excel in 1988.
So for 34 years I have been living with Excel.
I tried using Excel for handloads in 2000, but it did not work for me. I was overloading 9mm with hundreds of combinations of bullets and powders. I found it best for me to track overload work ups in 60+ cartridges with range reports that are searchable. I use gmail for that. The emails also contain build and accuracy info on the rifles.
My son is an engineer working on Chrome for Google. As he points out, "Chrome, like gmail, is free". But I have so much data stored in gmail, I pay a yearly fee.

I do use Excel for tracking my 1) guns, 2) scopes, 3) reamers and go gauges.

I use the Apache, Open Office 4, spread sheet.

Excel spread sheets may be down-loaded (save as) to your computer then the Open Office will accept them for use without getting into M-S Office account stuff - local use..

I am starting to look at the Google spread sheet for graphs. Thought it would be nice to graph trajectories of different loads for comparison.

I use this one frequently when I look at Hodgdon CUP data (old stuff). Quick & easy. Data method derived from linear regression comparing psi's to CUP's. Reasonably accurate, a real good estimate but to be used with caution.

Screenshot (366).png

Last edited: