Spotting your shot

a good quality muzzle brake and great shooting form and follow through.. spotting your own hits can be done without a brake, but everything else needs to be perfect. I have done it off a bench but that's not conducive to hunting applications.
Depends on what part of the country you hunt long range. In PA for example you will find the vast majority of long range hunters use some type of a bench. The ones that don't as a rule still don't shoot from their belly, but maybe sitting while using a tree for a support, or sometimes a large hook screwed into a tree to support the gun. Reason being the type terrain as a rule dosent suit shooting well from ones belly.
So if for example you were to come hunt with me, id offer the use of my portable bench. If you answered with a smile saying thanks but I wont be needing that, then don't be asking me about it later. lol

Well, I picked up an adapter for our spotting scope. I haven't used it yet (Xmas present to self) but thought it would be a good investment since I don't always have a spotter. Having a video to review if needed is almost as good.
I'm caught in the middle about a muzzle break, but as cartridge selection gets bigger I can see them being used.

Well, I picked up an adapter for our spotting scope. I haven't used it yet (Xmas present to self) but thought it would be a good investment since I don't always have a spotter. Having a video to review if needed is almost as good.
This is what I keep saying. Even if I have or am the spotter. Not easy or always possible if on the move while hunting, especially alone, but makes shooting sessions more educational.
A good spotter is hard to find, filming your shots almost (all-most!) negates the need for one.
As for spotting through a rifle scope, there has been some good info above. Makes it easier for me that I drive my rifles pretty hard, I'm not much of a free recoil kind of guy for the most part. Like stated by others; anything that dampens recoil & muzzle rise and good body position helps, and too much mag (or too little field of view) hinders.

I'm caught in the middle about a muzzle break, but as cartridge selection gets bigger I can see them being used.
There is shooting while hunting, then there is shooting while just shooting. For just shooting while shooting, the adapter might work pretty well, but for hunting, save your money. Lets say you found a nice buck, but before you found him, he found a nice doe. Did you ever try to stay with a nice buck who found a nice doe who is playing (hard to get)?
I mean take your pick here, the gun or the scope/adapter.
Thanks, but some things just cant be improved upon.

I have an adapter and it works well for target shooting, haven't tied yet for hunting. Plus you can use them scouting. It's easier to count antlers sometimes.

There is shooting while hunting, then there is shooting while just shooting. For just shooting while shooting, the adapter might work pretty well, but for hunting, save your money. Lets say you found a nice buck, but before you found him, he found a nice doe. Did you ever try to stay with a nice buck who found a nice doe who is playing (hard to get)?
This is true especially if alone, I'm about 50% so far by myself (hunting that is, about 99% on targets:oops:). It has made the difference on one cross canyon shot to where the perceived poi made me think I initially missed, only to zoom in the video and see the actual impact on the animal. The perceived poi ended up being a ricochet up hill after the bullet passed through the animal, it appeared to go over the animal. I also had the exact scenario last year that Yobuck describes. By the time I got behind the rifle after getting the spotter on a buck digging a doe, he moved just out of frame. I was by myself both times.

MY RAP...Please do not bash this factory rifle that shoots bugholes with the 6.5 CM and my 127 LRX handloads.
And using a Surefire brake all hits can be seen by the shooter at distance...Wow....It is extremely LOUD..…..electronic ear protection is a must.....This is a new caliber for me and I absolutely love the way it shoots and the lack of recoil.
DSC00119.JPG
Please excuse the Date on this old Cam. This was killed on 10/31/18. Thank You.

Last edited:
To each their own, I guess. I'm going to give it go shooting rocks this spring. And hopefully a bear. As far a a rutting buck, I definitely agree with your explanation. This is far from being every senario though, only trial will tell.

A steady rest, a brake and as low of power as you can use to get r done works best for me.
It is easier for me to see hits from the 16# 338 Edge with a brake than it is the little CZ 527 in 223.
I find myself pointing out prairie dogs to a shooting partner....Easier to see the carnage without the recoil ;-)

What are you guys doing to Spot your shots in a hunting situation. I am hunting in a beanfield, and just wondering what you guys were doing if you happen to miss. Do you guys watch your trace? Kind of a stupid question but I was wondering if there was any info that I am missing
Use a good brake and good rest and it's easy to either stay on target and see the impact or at long range to get back on target in time to see the impact.

Whenever possible, have a spotter who can help.

I can occasionally see my own trace with a muzzle braked 223 but its very rare and the fact that brakes make muzzle blast/noise atrocious I much prefer a unbraked weapon for hunting. One could I suppose use hearing protection while hunting but I generally do not. I really wish that Hearing Protection Act would of passed Congress making silencers available without the hassles.

Last edited:
I can occasionally see my own trace with a muzzle braked 223 but its very rare and the fact that brakes make muzzle blast/noise atrocious I much prefer a unbraked weapon for hunting. One could I suppose use hearing protection while hunting but I generally do not. I really wish that Hearing Protection Act would of passed Congress making silencers available without the hassles.
Use a bigger bullet and you'd see it most shots. I use trace for corrections on targets in brushy areas at competitions.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.