Spotting scopes

Kowa 773 here. Great glass, although not that light. Last year I was able to count points on a couple bucks 3 miles away. So far other than weight I have no complaints on the Kowa.

Vortex Razor 27-60 X 85. Works very well but a Manfrotto tripod of very solid mount ( I use pipe vice clamped to concrete shooting bench ) needed at high power or the wind shake will drive you nuts. This one is for range use as it is way too heavy to haul around in the mountains.

Second on the Kowa. I hang out with a lot of birders (hence the name...) and they're the pickiest, snobbiest bunch of glass critics out there. Almost all of them use a Kowa or Swarovski. I prefer Kowa as they're generally a little lighter and I like the ergonomics better on the focus dials, but there's nothing wrong at all with a Swaro. Pure fluorite lenses make a huge difference in image quality.

I bought a Celestron Regal M2 65mm when I was getting into shooting at ranges where good glass mattered. It was recommended by someone who relied on good glass working for the US government type folks and even simpletons like me.

Kowas were also recommended. That was 12 years ago, I want for nothing.

Last edited:
Swaro STS 20-60 HD with 65mm objective. I have a Promaster carbon fiber tripod (maybe 525) and the Sirui VA5 head.
I carry this setup in my pack on my hunts out west, and it has worked great for me. It is about as heavy as I would go if packing it in the mountains. Total wt is 7-8 pounds, if I recall correctly so its not ultra light, but it serves its purpose well.

As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and help figure out which would suit your intended use the best. If you've got a few minutes give us a call, 516-217-1000
Thanks
I have bought a ton of stuff from Doug; I can vouch for him.

I have a number of spotters but my Meopta is my fav; I was intent on getting either a Leica or a Swaro but a side by side of all three convinced me Meopta was the way to go.

IMG_7236.JPG

That's a sweet set up. I too have bought from Doug and will call when I get moved. Seems to be the kowa is then running favorite. I'd rather just buy once than buy 4 cheaper ones and climb the ladder I have the compact Leupold mentioned above, looking for one that will better suit the new place and new critters.

Recent Posts