Spotting scopes

Razor 20-60x85 angled with the 30x reticle eyepiece.

For me, I like the angled eyepiece in this WY wind. It allows me to run it lower to the ground when sitting and reduces wind wobble. I don't take it with me hunting (yet), but I have tried several straight optics at matches and don't like the ergonomics of them. They seem to work best when standing and you better have a calm day or a really stout/tall tripod.

I have a Kowa 821 with a 27X EER eyepiece and it is the cats ***.. unbelievable clarity and resolution. BUT....... Its big and heavy and a pain in the butt to cart around..
So my Go-to spotter for up to 200 yds is an old Bausch & Lomb Balscope Sr with a 30X eyepiece. And if you have never used one, they beat the hell out of the new crap thats on the market today. I've had 4 of them, If I see one for a reasonable price, under $100 I'll pick it up. they are easy to disassemble and clean properly. The only thing you need to watch for is the very early ones do not have the screw camera mount and you need to find a tripod compatible saddle mount to use it.

Hello Frank, a bit of advice to a new member…if you don't mind. Before you post on a thread take a look at the dates of the thread. That way you're not resurrecting a zombie (old) thread, might save you from a little ribbing from others. I know this one isn't that old, but it's not your first offense either (joking of course).

Recent Posts