Spotting Scopes

If you want a large, heavier scope that gives up nothing optically to just about anything, try the Kowa Prominar 88. Compares directly with the Swaro 85. Can be had in your budget. For a smaller, more packable scope, the Swaro 65 is tough to beat for an all around scope.
The KOWA 663 and 661 Prominars are a great lightweight option too, I love mine, I got rid of my Swaro 65 once I got the KOWA. There is also the 77 series Kowa Prominar that is phenomenal if you want one in-between the 88mm and the 66mm.

I have also got the Razor 27x60x85, it's a great scope. It is heavy but that is a plus when you are at max power. I also have the phonescope video attachment my phone. Takes great pictures and videos. Shows great bullet trace on long shots. Really like my setup but I am not hiking in the high mountains either.

If I was getting one to backpack a long ways I would go with the Leupold 15-30 X 50 mm Compact. It barely weighs more that binoculars.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.