spotting scopes

Ok, I'll admit it...this is a shameless plug for our product....but hear me out on this one.

For target shooting you will be able to see shots of any caliber far far better if you use one of our TargetCam systems. I'm the owner of www.TargetCam.net and I personally guarantee you this. Even the best spotting scopes won't get you enough clarity to see shots at much over 400-500 yards. I've tested our TargetCam system out at over 3 miles and can see 22 caliber holes clear as a bell....yep, .22 holes at over 3 miles away...see every one totally clear!!!

As for your hunting needs I'd go with the Konus 20-60X80 spotter. At only $250 or so it's almost as good as the scopes that cost 3-4 times as much. Plus if it's only a $250 scope that you are taking into the back-country on hunting trips it's a lot less stress than packing a $3k scope.

So, my recommendation, and I know I am extremely bias here, is to get one of our systems for the range and a Konus for hunting. I actually have this combination myself and it works great.

Keith Averill - Owner of www.TargetCam.net
feel free to call me directly with questions about our TargetCam systems
(775)852-9449

Wow, good stuff Mr. Bruce. So where would the Zeiss Dialyt be in the mix? It's about 1200$ so.....in the mid-class. Would it be comparable to the Gold Ring HD ?
Thanks Brent

Zeiss Dialyt, hmm, let's see:
Aluminum body - yes
Long eye relief eyepiece - yes
HD glass - no

The glass is good for a non-HD scope, but it still has more color fringing than HD optics do. The eyepiece is a bit difficult to use at high magnification, so a longer eye relief would be better. But this is a different type of spotting scope than all the others we discussed. It's a lightweight field scope and is intended to be used most often hand-held at low magnification, possibly supporting the objective on a monopod, tree limb, fence post, car window, etc. It's not the type of scope I would choose for glassing large areas for hours at a time. For a more general purpose scope, I would choose the Gold Ring HD, which people often use like a field scope.

bruce_ventura: Mr Bruce! My hats off to you because you seem to really know your optics. From what Ive learned about the glass...etc...etc....you hit the nail on the head with every stroke!

Sully

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. Interacting with folks on this forum, I've learned a lot about how optics are used. That's been very helpful to me.

Ok, I'll admit it...this is a shameless plug for our product....but hear me out on this one.

For target shooting you will be able to see shots of any caliber far far better if you use one of our TargetCam systems. I'm the owner of www.TargetCam.net and I personally guarantee you this. Even the best spotting scopes won't get you enough clarity to see shots at much over 400-500 yards. I've tested our TargetCam system out at over 3 miles and can see 22 caliber holes clear as a bell....yep, .22 holes at over 3 miles away...see every one totally clear!!!

As for your hunting needs I'd go with the Konus 20-60X80 spotter. At only $250 or so it's almost as good as the scopes that cost 3-4 times as much. Plus if it's only a $250 scope that you are taking into the back-country on hunting trips it's a lot less stress than packing a $3k scope.

So, my recommendation, and I know I am extremely bias here, is to get one of our systems for the range and a Konus for hunting. I actually have this combination myself and it works great.

Keith Averill - Owner of www.TargetCam.net
feel free to call me directly with questions about our TargetCam systems
(775)852-9449

Your boasting is misleading at best. You didnt actually SEE....physically see...holes at that distance...your "TV" camera picked them up and re-broadcast them to your receiver. MEGA TONS of difference.

It wont take long for people to see thru that smoke screen!

Zeiss Dialyt, hmm, let's see:
Aluminum body - yes
Long eye relief eyepiece - yes
HD glass - no

The glass is good for a non-HD scope, but it still has more color fringing than HD optics do. The eyepiece is a bit difficult to use at high magnification, so a longer eye relief would be better. But this is a different type of spotting scope than all the others we discussed. It's a lightweight field scope and is intended to be used most often hand-held at low magnification, possibly supporting the objective on a monopod, tree limb, fence post, car window, etc. It's not the type of scope I would choose for glassing large areas for hours at a time. For a more general purpose scope, I would choose the Gold Ring HD, which people often use like a field scope.
Thanks Bruce, I guess I just assumed the Dialyt had HD glass.

Whenever I see a post from you, I always read it, because it seems to be an informed and unbiased opinion. Appreciate the insight.
Brent

if a guy sits down on a Sunday afternoon, beer in one hand bag of potato chips in the other.....and watches a football game on TV....did he actually "see" a football game or is it just "smoke and mirrors" that he's watching????

if a guy sits down on a Sunday afternoon, beer in one hand bag of potato chips in the other.....and watches a football game on TV....did he actually "see" a football game or is it just "smoke and mirrors" that he's watching????

If he is AT the game...he's SEEING it. If its on TV...he's WATCHING it...

I know this thread is a little old, but could really use some advice on this topic. The ultra high end optics are out for me, but am still looking for very good quality - mainly to glass elk and deer across very large mountain canyons and take a few magnified digital photos in the process.

How does the Leupold Gold Ring B&C 20-60x80HD stack up against the Vortex Razor HD 20-60x80 in an apples to apples comparison? Price wise, I have seen them about the same, or maybe even a little less for the made in USA Leupold. Thank you for your thoughts

I have not compared them side-by-side, but I have the Vortex you mention and have been very happy with it. I am less familiar with the GR but you may want to look into what accessories exist for taking pics if that is something important to you.

Also, I love the removable eyepiece on the Vortex, as you can switch it out to their MOA reticle and make pretty good adjustment calls when you are shot spotting.

I have never had an issue with a Leupy product, so you probably cannot go wrong in your decision. I can state with confidence that you should not be disappointed if you go with the Razor.

Good Luck

Brandon

Just sharing recent personal experience.
I got into an ATX 65 for $2700. I bought the ocular piece from BHphoto's used stock and the objective from a LRH forum member. Both pieces were 9++ used condition. Heck, I'd even say they were 10's. Wife already had a nice fluid head tripod for her SLR camera, so I'm in business.
I did not have a spotter to part with so it was all cash straight out of my hand. Fortunately, 8 miles away we have a state park which is an alligator, bird, owl, deer, hogs, and critter sanctuary. And there is a sky dive park literally right down the road from our house, so we like to watch sky divers jumping out of the plane two miles up on clear days. We'll get good use out of this spotting system. I also have opportunities to hunt with it in interior Alaska for moose and caribou as well as New Mexico for elk. Glad I went with the 65mm objective because it will be packed around a lot. It fits into a Swarovski XL bino case which was only $70. I could easily see them charging $150-$200 for anything that has their name on it.
Someday I may spring for the 95mm objective and the SLR camera adapter, but all that is and extra $2500. I'm set for now though. For 500+ yard shots at the range, I don't think I'll be using it for that role. That's why I bring a "pit pig" to text with back and forth, even send photos back via text if I'm shooting at the 1,000 yard range.
I don't think it's justifiable for a top end spotter to play a solo role. Keep in mind, although it's less than $1,000, a long range camera system IS a solo role.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.