Spotting scopes input????

As a rule, fixed power eyepieces will offer better clarity than zoom eyepieces.
I havent looked looked through all of them, and most scope makers today only offer them, no other choices.
Except Kowa, who still offers fixed power.
In Pa the vast majority of all long range hunters use twin spotters mounted in adjustable brackets for hunting.
Hours are spent arguing over and comparing optics even more so than guns.
It is an absolute fact that a scope quality can be improved by changing the eyepiece.
Even if that means using one not intended for the scope by adapting it.
In Pa the most popular scopes still in use today by L/R hunters is the old 60 mm Bushnell Spacemaster.
But many wont have original factory eyepieces.
I have at least ten friends owning twin 80 mm Swarovskis. Do they kill more deer than they did while using their old Bushnells? Well actually not really for the most part.
It is also a fact that no scope can make better conditions from poor ones, and that explains a lot.
I ran into a guy on the hide that suggested the same thing....the bushnell spacemaster! I now have 3.....one rubber camo one that has Japan on the name plate and 2 spacemaster ll's which where identical to a Kowa ts series and I think other series too. Anyway, I bought 1 without an eyepiece for $62 and I have a few options coming for an eyepiece and another spacemaster ll coming with the original 25x eyepiece.....$136. I was told that these spacemasters will compete and beat new high dollar ones optically in the 60-60mm range for the price. Look on eBay.....they're out there for reasonable prices

Off topic in the context of the scopes the poster mentioned, but I am very happy with the Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 that I picked up recently (used). The scope itself is only 25oz and with the bag it comes in about 30oz. Smaller objective lens makes a big difference in weight and this scope punches well above its weight class. Paired it with a 2lb Vortex Summit SS tripod for something that would not be too much of a burden to carry while hunting as well as scouting.

I have the Angled Vortex Razor HD as well & I absolutely Love it. I wouldn't want to take it further than 2miles from the truck but for their price it's pretty hard to beat. My buddy drew a ram tag here in MT last year so I was able to spend a week with him on that hunt. There was 6 of us on that hunt with spotting scopes. It was an awesome opportunity to compare every high/end spotter on the market. My Vortex was awesome. Swarovski was pretty awesome as well. However my favorite was the Zeiss. My eyes definitely favored the Zeiss glass. So if Zeiss is in your budget I highly recommend. Also don't be afraid to go angled...I will never go back to straight. My favorite part of the angled eye piece is glassing with my kids. I can get my scope out when we're glassing at our house for elk, deer, & sheep & it's so much easier for them to look thru an angled eyepiece in my opinion. Have fun shopping, you're gonna love whatever you pick!

What teesquare said.

The problem is ...most of todays shooters only know name brands like Nightforce, Leupold, and Zeiss. But - if you walk the line at any of the big long range competitions....you will see a LOT...maybe 1/2 or more of the scopes used are top of the line KOWA. Why? Flourite lens is a sharp and aberration free as it comes and the eye relief is the best around.

Zeiss is and always be a good contender. I have 2 of there scopes and one set of binos and the conquest that I have has better glass in my opinion than my vortex. They also hold there elevation and wind very well as one has been through the ringer with burning out a 6.5X284 that I have about 4700 rounds through. The turret has been up and down several hundred time with no issues. You know, I never thought about this but that scope has been adjusted up and down countless times with no issues. That is a testament to a good product.

Zeiss! Zeiss coatings are top of the pile. Not sure how many are aware, but Zeiss makes glass for a lot of other optic manufacturers.

Way back when I had 10x42 Ziess classic 10x42 els,the classic where a 3rd price back then,Should just kept them.Later I traded my 42 for 32 because I liked the size better.Still have those.Always thought it be nice to have a Hensolt :)

Used this in my early years,only 20x40.My son using it here Micro window mnt on screw bow holder
IMG_2715.JPG

cheap Bushnell would allow me to see Elk and determine which bull was the better of the 3 from about 1.5 miles
L/R hunters is the old 60 mm Bushnell Spacemaster.
I have one of these i bought in 1998. I broke the eyepiece by forgetting to zip the carry case. I found a 20x kowa eyepiece on eBay and it skrewed right in. These work fine. Where the HD glass really shines is at dawn and dusk. You might get 15 more minutes of hunting early (prime feeding time) or late (as the sneek out to feed).

After jumping off the HD binocs onto a regular glass scope right before dark youll see it. Abberation is another thing but the low light is why i spend a little for HD glass.....

BTw Ed glass is same as HD .....dont overlook the pentax pf80ED the birdwatchers use them and sell them for a song on ebay sometimes. 2cents worth

I have one of these i bought in 1998. I broke the eyepiece by forgetting to zip the carry case. I found a 20x kowa eyepiece on eBay and it skrewed right in. These work fine. Where the HD glass really shines is at dawn and dusk. You might get 15 more minutes of hunting early (prime feeding time) or late (as the sneek out to feed).

After jumping off the HD binocs onto a regular glass scope right before dark youll see it. Abberation is another thing but the low light is why i spend a little for HD glass.....

BTw Ed glass is same as HD .....dont overlook the pentax pf80ED the birdwatchers use them and sell them for a song on ebay sometimes. 2cents worth
That would be the only time you might see any difference at all on scopes with and without the higher price glass, low light situations.
If you do some research you will find that the more costly glass is only used on the inner element of the
objective lens only. All the rest is regular glass including the eyepiece. And that goes for all of them, regardless of brand. Reason being the glass isnt nearly as durable and wouldnt hold up well if exposed.
Pretty pricey upgrade, all things considered.
BTW, some but not many of those old Bushnell Spacemasters have the ED glass. If you see one with a silver spacer on the tube instead of the normal black one, it has the ED glass.

In my opinion, Kowa's 883/884 is the best hunting spotting scope period. If your looking to save weight or money the Kowa 77 series scopes are currently on sale. The 663/664 scopes will hold their own with scopes that cost twice as much, and the 553/554 have no equal in their class.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts