Spotting scopes input????

Wachsmann

Looking at the scopes listed below. I'm looking for input on these. Just would like to hear from others and there thoughts on the clarity of the optics and are they good enough count tines on elk and deer say at 1500 +++yards. I would hope so. I looked through another hunters Swarovski a few years back which was looking at some elk at about 2 miles away. We could see all the tines with no issues. Also this may sound un real but my cheap Bushnell would allow me to see Elk and determine which bull was the better of the 3 from about 1.5 miles away on clear days looking at them on the font (west) side of Timpanogos mountain viewing them from my house.
All these scopes should be much better than what I currently have. I also would hope they can see bullet holes at 300 yards also with no issue. So if anyone has any input on these ore has used them in the field for spotters please chime in. Thanks.
Vortex Razor HD 27-60x85 Spotting Scope - Angled
Leupold SX-5 Santiam HD 27-55x80mm Spotting Scope - Angled
Burris 20-60x85 Signature HD Spotting Scope
Zeiss Conquest Gavia 30-60X85 Angled Spotting Scope

Last edited:
As a rule, fixed power eyepieces will offer better clarity than zoom eyepieces.
I havent looked looked through all of them, and most scope makers today only offer them, no other choices.
Except Kowa, who still offers fixed power.
In Pa the vast majority of all long range hunters use twin spotters mounted in adjustable brackets for hunting.
Hours are spent arguing over and comparing optics even more so than guns.
It is an absolute fact that a scope quality can be improved by changing the eyepiece.
Even if that means using one not intended for the scope by adapting it.
In Pa the most popular scopes still in use today by L/R hunters is the old 60 mm Bushnell Spacemaster.
But many wont have original factory eyepieces.
I have at least ten friends owning twin 80 mm Swarovskis. Do they kill more deer than they did while using their old Bushnells? Well actually not really for the most part.
It is also a fact that no scope can make better conditions from poor ones, and that explains a lot.

I was told today the new leupold adjuster ring is so stiff if you dont have a heavy bipod and have both hands on the scope you will move the scope so much you loose what your looking at all all together so that sounds like a bad issue towards the leupold.

Those are all really large scopes.I dont like anything that big unless in the rig.I do have a Kowa 774,mostly run 30W on it.Its remarkable. Ive had quite few scopes and binocs.The real old leupold 15-45x60,still just a good all around size for lots of things only 12'' long.For a used one one the best deals. I have the baby Kowa also 554,light packer

Looking at the scopes listed below. I'm looking for input on these. Just would like to hear from others and there thoughts on the clarity of the optics and are they good enough count tines on elk and deer say at 1500 +++yards. I would hope so. I looked through another hunters Swarovski a few years back which was looking at some elk at about 2 miles away. We could see all the tines with no issues. Also this may sound un real but my cheap Bushnell would allow me to see Elk and determine which bull was the better of the 3 from about 1.5 miles away on clear days looking at them on the font (west) side of Timpanogos mountain viewing them from my house.
All these scopes should be much better than what I currently have. I also would hope they can see bullet holes at 300 yards also with no issue. So if anyone has any input on these ore has used them in the field for spotters please chime in. Thanks.
I use vortex and love it spotted big mule deer bucks 1 mile away

I have a brand new never used Celestron Regal M2 80ED I'll sell for $500 if anybody is looking for a good spotter.
it just sits in the safe. I don't use it.

Of all of those, I'd definitely go with the Zeiss, although the Harpia would be my choice!

Both the Vortex and Burris spotters have the option of using fixed 22x Eyepieces with either Mil or Moa hash marks. Could be useful but I've never looked through either so no help there.

The Satiam is a great scope, but......the tripod that it comes with is total JUNK!!! Had the scope set up on another bench next to the bench that I was shooting from, there was a gust of wind, I looked over and had to make a catch that any receiver in a Super Bowl game would be proud of!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts