Spotting scopes for hunting

brandon327

What is some of the better spotting scopes for hunting. I currently have a vortex diamondback angles spotter. Looking to upgrade to either a leupold gold ring or a vortex razor straight. Which would you go for? Any others ideas in that price range. I want a straight spotter, don't really care for the angled.

Better would be ATX/STX 85/95. Very little escapes the all seeing eye of an atx95 with phone scope even miles away.
In your price range if you look around and have time find a used Meopta/cabelas S2 20-70x82. I found one a few years ago for $1,100 and was impressed with the glass.

I'll just put it right out there that I could afford a Sworavski or Leica spotting scope. What I ended up getting was a Leupold 15-30x50mm Gold Ring compact scope. I used it antelope, deer, and elk hunting this year. I really like it. It's very clear and sharp for the money I paid for it and I know from experience that Leupold optics are tough (Gold Ring scopes and spotters). It is also small and light weight and easy to carry in a pack. I really like it!

I'll be third for Kowa—

never had a leupold but I did have a Razor and it went down the road. At high magnification it just couldn't provide the resolution I was looking for.

Because of the high magnification you really need the best glass you can get and the LARGEST obj you're willing to carry around. Swaro is great and you can find some sweet deals on slightly older non-HD models.
But for weight to cost with great clarity I think my Kowa 774 is the best value out there!

What is some of the better spotting scopes for hunting. I currently have a vortex diamondback angles spotter. Looking to upgrade to either a leupold gold ring or a vortex razor straight. Which would you go for? Any others ideas in that price range. I want a straight spotter, don't really care for the angled.
I had a razor Gen2 22-48x65 angled spotter for awhile. It never blew me away when I'd look through it at the range or at home but I thought it was decent. I went on a mule deer hunt with a buddy that was using a Leupold GR 12-40. To both our eyes , the GR was better in low light, image quality and brightness. I sold the razor. I've used Kowa at work and would highly recommend them but they're not cheap.