Spotting scope with reticles

steeltraps

What kind of spotting scope with reticals are you guys using for beyond 2000 yards? I have a 15x45x60 bushnell with mil-dots. My spotter keeps telling me he is have problems seeing impact on rocks with 338 lapua at 2005 yards. This usually happens when the rocks are wet. I dont want to have to wait to spring to shoot so i thought about a 20x60x80 spotting scope with reticles. Any suggestions? What brand should i buy?

I love the angled vortex razor hd 20-60x85 with the set 30 x moa reticle crystal clear and by far the best spotting scope I have had my hands on. The moa reticle makes it super easy to measure both the target rock and the impacts. I like it better than the swaros I have used seems eye alignment is better...and the warranty should you ever need it rocks.

I have seen those for sale for around 900 and with the eye piece for 225> so for 1150 or so i could get the vortex. I would like a little more power than 30x though.

If you want more power might have to go Ziess and spend the big bucks.I thought I heard one of the eyepices interchange into another spotter. Like a vortex in certain swaro. Ziess is 20-60x72

My bad, you are correct. Vortex 20x60x80 Viper HD is 899. So i could buy a scope body and put a swaro eye peice on it? Could some one tell me more about this? I am not opposed to spending 1000 to 3000 dollars on spotting scope with reticles. buy once cry once! I just want to get the right one so when my 375 cheytec gets built i can take advatage of the 1200 to 4000 yards of rocks i have to shoot at> I have thought about a leupold 20 x60x80 spotting scope. Anyone have one or have any advise on them? Or should i get a scope body and a swaro eye peice? What eye peices interchange with what scope bodies? thanks for all the help guys!

Id simply go with this scope

Vortex Optics - Razor HD 20-60x85 Angled

and this eye piece

Vortex Optics - Razor HD 30x WA Ranging Eyepiece MOA

That is the combo that we run and you would have no problems using the reticle out to 2000 + yards and once the power was not sufficient you could run the 20-60 eyepiece

However at those elr distances you will start to see alot of heat waves and distortion caused by enviromental issues.

You may be better suited with a remote target cam system like this
Remote Video Spotting System 775-852-9449 Target Camera TargetCam

We run a five camera system in our classes and when we do load work up and it works awesome!

If your interested in either of the options let me know we can help you get into either one.

Thanks for the advice. I may go with the vortex. I have 3 vortex pst scopes, and really like them. Someone told me that nightforce males a 20x70 spotting scope? DO they have reticles? I have 7 guns with nightforce scopes on them. I am a BIG nightforce fan. The enviromental factors are not that great where we shoot. 1260 yards to 2000 yards is what we normally shoot, but can go to 4000 yards shooting rocks. We shoot from mt top to mt top> the mirage is very light even in midday alabama weather. It takes us 25 minutes to drive to targets. WE joke about shooting from 1 county to another all the time! As far as a remote camera it wouldnt work because we shoot a flat tall rock faceings, unless someone is brave enough to get a rope and go half way down a rock and tie camera to a tree.:D About 1 year ago we had a 30 ft 1/2 inch cable holding one of my 20 inch ar-500 targets, my stupid cousin keep hitting 2moa high over the target, after 4 shots he adjusted scope down 2 moa. It was not enough or he missed high. The bullet hit the cable and my 150 dollar ar-500 target went 400 ft down the rock facing, we have looked down at it several times since, but no one in ower group will climb down and get it!:)

One of my friends that i let shoot on my land has a friend he wants to bring that has a leupold 20x60x80 mark 4 tatical. Also have a friend that just got a kowa 880? He says he put a 30X vortex moa eye piece on it. Dont know how they will compare to the old 15x45x60 mil-dot bushnell but we will find out dec 26. We will have 4 or 5 guy shooting 1260 yards to 2000 yards, with at least 3 spotting scopes. Thanks for the help guys> please keep the sugguestions coming because after the first of the year i am going to buy something in the 1000 to 3000 dollar range.gun)

I have a question. How does a person know which eyepieces will crossover to scope bodies. For example a reticle eyepiece to a Swarovski or zeiss body. I would like to know because a want to make a bracket to co-witness my terrapin to the reticle in scope. Thus eliminating a doubler on rangefinder and only using one tripod.

From what i have read a 30x vortex eyepiece will thread on to a swaro and vice versa. I would say that it sounds like thread count and pitch are the major factors.

One of my friends that i let shoot on my land has a friend he wants to bring that has a leupold 20x60x80 mark 4 tatical. Also have a friend that just got a kowa 880? He says he put a 30X vortex moa eye piece on it. Dont know how they will compare to the old 15x45x60 mil-dot bushnell but we will find out dec 26. We will have 4 or 5 guy shooting 1260 yards to 2000 yards, with at least 3 spotting scopes. Thanks for the help guys> please keep the sugguestions coming because after the first of the year i am going to buy something in the 1000 to 3000 dollar range.gun)
let me know on that Kowa I have a 774,does it fit with no modification, is the 30x a wide, I have that on mine is real nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts