Spotting scope vs 15x56 binoculars

Lab rat

So I am currently using the Leupold 20x40x60 spotting scope and it's alright but now I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to go with a high quality 15x56 binocular (I'm thinking Leica)
With a good tripod what's your thoughts

It depends what you are trying to accomplish; if you are glassing trying to spot game the binos are far better but if you are trying to score antlers then the spotting scope is what you want. I can hold high power binos pretty steady when seated, braced against something with my elbows on my knees that I can do without a tripod but most need one to keep steady. Another option is to spot with your rangefinder and judge with the spotter. My primary binos are EL12x50 and I either carry a Nikon 13-40xED50 ~17oz, a Swaro 20-60x65, or a Meopta 20-60x82 S2 depending on what my goals are but I rarely carry the large spotter especially in the back country where weight is a big factor.

I hunt mainly with 10x bino.But antelope or rig I use 15x on mount.Spotted elk long ways like this this year,then went to spotter,could barely make out horns with my 774 Kowa. My rifle scopes are 25 x so I use to gauge horn also.

I like the combo of 10x Binoculars plus spotter. If you aren't picky on bulls a spotter isn't as important but it will save you miles of hiking if you are searching for and field judging trophy bulls. I can spot an ear or rump from a mile away with spotter that i won't see with 15x. You won't be able to hand hold 15x Binos so it will be tough to still hunt without 10x. There are a few times where it would be nice to have 15x to glass some types of country but for the most part 10x plus a spotter is a great combo. Obviously if you elk hunt in thick trees you likely don't need 15x or spotter.

I'm a fan of 15's on a tripod for searching, and then switching to the spotter for finer details. I can't tell you how many bucks I've found in the 15's that looked like keepers, but getting the spotter on them kept me searching for another.

The 15's can show you a big framed buck, and the spotter can show you how many points he has.

So I am currently using the Leupold 20x40x60 spotting scope and it's alright but now I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better to go with a high quality 15x56 binocular (I'm thinking Leica)
With a good tripod what's your thoughts
As stated before, it depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you are doing a lot of glassing, a quality binocular on a good tripod (does not have to be a big tripod) is way easier on the eyes than looking through a spotting scope for all of that time.

Perhaps the best way to look for game, before you actually start after any animals, is to look first with a pair of binoculars, and then use the spotting scope to get a better look at whatever you find.

If you are going hiking into the back country to hunt bighorn sheep for example, then I would advise you to have both a good quality binocular and a spotting scope with you. The spotting scope is essential in judging trophy quality of a sheep at distance.

But for most of the hunting that I do in WY, I would prefer to use the spotting scope before I leave camp, vehicle, etc. Then when I take off after something, I leave the spotting scope behind and just take a pair of binoculars with me (10x42).

The binoculars are way more important to me than my spotting scope. While I like having both kinds of optics, the binoculars are much better general purpose tools.

Wyowind

I like to carry 10x42s with a 15-45x65 spotter for most every kind of hunting. I think it's more a personal opinion after some trial and error.

I'm a recent convert. I use a set of Maven B4s 12x56 for field of Veiw then go to a Swarovski ATX 65mm 20x60 for fine detail work with a phone cam on it...I still carry a set of range finding binos (EL range)but use the 12x for scanning--works like a Charm.

Attachments

• IMG_0163.jpg
    IMG_0163.jpg
    716 KB · Views: 117
I wear Swarovski 8x32 EL in my Marcupial harness for glassing while walking and the actual stalk. I then spot with Swarovski 15x56 HD's on a Slik 624 CF tripod from a sitting position.

Steve

We like 10's and 15's, but when we get really serious we pack in the 30's😳. I like binoculars over a spotter, but spotters have there purpose👍

Attachments

• DABC66ED-9F9B-438E-9B3A-A369DC889C19.jpeg
    DABC66ED-9F9B-438E-9B3A-A369DC889C19.jpeg
    894.1 KB · Views: 155
I bought a pair of 15x Swaros a couple years ago and have only used my spotting scope a couple of times since then. Nothing like binos on a tripod! Way more comfortable to me!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.