Spotting scope tripod

LRDesert

I'm in the market for a quality tripod. Want to keep tripod and head combo under 500. This will be used for glassing from landings at pickup as well as backpacking so weight is a concern. I've been eyeing the Silk Pro CF-734 with video head. My concern is stability should I step it up to the CF-834? Which is half a pound heavier but will hold 4lbs more. Any other suggestions? This will be used with a Kowa TSN-774.

My slik cf 522 is like 2lbs and very compact. I see they're no longer available but it holds my 80mm Leopold good. Cf522 is rated to hold 6.6lbs I love it because its so small and light.

I bought a carbon fiber newer brand off Amazon thats really surprisingly nice for $100 and it stays in the truck for the 80mm. Added ebay manfroto pistol grip $80

The cf522lite stays in the pack and was $200 on ebay used (there a cf422lite for 350 currently)

I bought the athlon 15-30x50HD for my pack as well and love how clear/light.
1468887349_IMG_656077.jpg
Y3CVZLQXBTQ2S3PO7DQB64G3ME-1024x789.jpg

As a long standing supporting vendor here on the forum it would be our pleasure to discuss this with you and help figure out which would suit your intended use the best. If you've got a few minutes give us a call, 516-217-1000, and speak with Joel (our resident tripod guru)
Thanks

Attachments

• tripod banner.gif
    tripod banner.gif
    74.6 KB · Views: 97
You don't need a heavy weight tripod for supporting a heavy scope. Strong legs and strong head I'd say is required. You can add weight to the tripod after it is set up. Hang a parachute cord down from the head between the legs to add weight for stability. Grab a rock, log, etc to tie to the cord. Or carry a stake, dog leash screw, etc to drive/screw into the ground and attach the cord. So buy a light tripod to carry and add weight from your surroundings after you setup.

Last edited:
So I just got to play with the Athlon and it turns out its 12-36x50hd. They have a new uhd but mines the HD.

Having fun today. Wife forced a vacation in OR on me at the coast. Good time to play with the camera settings and digiscope. The wind blowing the deck around pretty good but I can see well through the spotter. I love it really, its very lite. The dudes fishing gotta be 1200yrd (should brought my laser). They are on the far rocky point behind spotter scope.The boat about 1.5 miles or more?

The photos have slight mirage, wind and ocean mist I'm looking through plus digital zoom. Im gunna take the tripod down and. Play around till I get arrested for creepin people out. Well hopefully that don't happen..

I was just playing with you. It's hard to take a clear magnified picture.
Well....after playing around i learned the clamp on phone scope copy is kinda springy (was recommended but I don't like ut)...when you touch the phone it bounces a little. I can see mirage on the rocks though. Google earth puts the fisherman at 1450 yards. Not 2 shabby for an ultralite compact setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.