Spotting scope Swarovski STX 65 or 85? or even 95?

Which spotter size is the most useful in a Swaro STX?

• Total voters

mpk1996

looking at picking up a spotter for western hunts. I have always been a bino and rifle scope guy, but want a spotter as well.

What do you guys find most useful? is the added weight of the 85 over the 65 worth it? is it even worth going up to the 95 or is that just overkill? Anyone buy one or the other and regret it? or did you make the right decision?

I run always bring a nice RRS 24L carbon tripod for my binos and shooting if needed, so I'll have that.

I run the 95 but I spend most of my time behind 12x50 and just swap it out when I want to look close. I think it all depends on what type of hunting you are doing.
I can tell you when glassing way out there in marginal light you will notice a difference between the 65 and 95 I am still counting points when my buddies are just seeing elk.

Weight and size was the deciding factor when I bought my ATX 65mm kit. I also bought a Swaro Traveler carbon fiber tripod (old model) and the large Swaro bino bag. When separated the ATX eye piece and the 65mm lens fits snugly into the large bino bag. My Cousin has the 85mm BTX and that is a very nice set up but for looking at Red Stag heads and Chamois in steep country I haven't regretted buying the smaller kit.

20191025_171357.jpg 20191025_171519.jpg

I went with the 65mm when I bought mine and I don't have any regrets. It wasn't as much about the weight as it was the size difference between the 85mm and 65mm. If you spend a lot of time glassing at the very edge of legal light I think the 85 would be worth the extra size and weight.

All depends how much you are going to carry in your pack. The 95s are incredible and I would put on top, 85 close 2nd. But both of those are huge and take up a bunch of space and weight in your pack.

The 65 are very packable and are still awesome to use.

if you packing it around a lot go 65, if your at the truck and not packing a lot and $ no issue go 95.

BTX is a must on any of them now

I do backpack the 95. Before that I used the ATS 80. That's why I can't imagine using the 65. I actually carry the 95 with the BTX and ATX eyepiece.

I figure if I can't spot it how am I going to kill it?

I would like to try the ME with the BTX. Might save me having to pack the ATX also.

All depends how much you are going to carry in your pack. The 95s are incredible and I would put on top, 85 close 2nd. But both of those are huge and take up a bunch of space and weight in your pack.

The 65 are very packable and are still awesome to use.

if you packing it around a lot go 65, if your at the truck and not packing a lot and $ no issue go 95.

BTX is a must on any of them now

I do backpack the 95. Before that I used the ATS 80. That's why I can't imagine using the 65. I actually carry the 95 with the BTX and ATX eyepiece.

I figure if I can't spot it how am I going to kill it?

I would like to try the ME with the BTX. Might save me having to pack the ATX also.

you guys like the BTX with the fixed power? I love the idea And bino type feel of the BTX. Way more comfortable for long term viewing, but am worried that 30x won't be much better than the rifle scope. I normally run my 15x SLC and my scope if I need to see with more mag. So a 25x scope.

I use the BTX 99% of the time. I just got done with an elk hunt in NM and never put the ATX on once. I had a muley hunt last year that I hunted 15 days straight on. I used the ATX 1 time during that hunt. If you aren't picky I don't ever see needing the ATX. I'm fairly picky so I carry the ATX just in case I need to confirm whether I should go after something or not.

Yes love BTX it, way better than any rifle scope. Don't know why I would ever put the ATX back on, guess for more power. I can see everything I need to see at 30 power, plus they sell a doubler for BTX if you want more.

The 65 you will see everything you need to see. 95 just gives you slightly better but not worth extra expense and bulk to me.

I have the btx on the 85 and also the 1.7 magnifier. I love it. I carry Leica 10x42 2200's, Swarovski hd 15's as well as the btx. I have friends with the 65's and 95's. Comparing, the 65 leaves quite a bit on the table. It's a nice light backpack spotter but not great on the high end or with the btx. The 95 is great and gives 5x more magnification but I think image quality and light gathering may be a touch better with the 85. Especially using the btx with the ME. I have no regrets going with the 85. The btx makes it easier to dig out bedded animals inside 1000yds during the middle of the day where a spotter gives me a headache after a while.

If I could only have one, it would be the 65. I found when I had heavy scopes, I would leave them behind too often because of the bulk and weight. Better to have a 65 in your pack, than a 95 in your truck.

Thanks for all the info. I added some choices to the poll since now we are starting to talk BTX vs ATX/STX

so go add to your vote

seems like a lot of guys are leaning towards the BTX and the benefits of looking through both eyes (one reason I've always been hesitant about a spotter) even though you give up magnification versatility

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.