Spotting Scope Suggestions?

I dont use it much for shooting but for antelope, mulies, and elk I use a swarovski 20x60x80. Iv looked through some others but I like the swarovski the best. But if your not going to use it for hunting much there are a lot cheaper alternatives that will get the job done. Good Luck!

I don't know how far you could see them Tank. I am only setup to shoot paper up to 200 yds. We do use it for spotting shots on rocks and plates past 1,000 though.

I used USOptic spotting scope (the glass is nice and sharp) not as Swaro, but sharp enough, and I was able to see on light yellow paper bullets holes from 338edge at 800yrds on perfect condition.
For 200yrds shooting you can use your rifle scope at 10X-20X power and is enough

+1 on the swarovski 20x60x80, I use mine for hunting, bunching paper, and playing spotter on long range shots on ground pigs. My only suggestion is look thru the one you want to purchase in different conditions out side before you bring it home or make sure the store will let you return it.

Another vote for the Swaro 80. I have the 20-60 eyepiece on it. I don't know if there is a visivle difference between the standard and the HD model. I have the HD, and got a good deal from a member here on a package deal.
Get a good solid tripod, any spotting scope movement kills seeing fine details.

I live in a town that has a small dealer that routinely allows customers to set up several of their spotting scopes on tripods in their parking lot outside their shop to judge differences for themselves. I chose the Swaro and Leica in their 80mm, non-HD configuration for my own personal test. We were looking at hikers on a mountain trail approx. one mile away.

Choosing glass is a very personal thing. Color distortion, clarity, amount of definition, darkness at the edges and ease of focus all just a few things to consider. After 15-20 minutes of side-by-side comparisons, the retailer brought out a Kowa in 80mm. By then several more customers were involved in my "taste test". Each had their own idea of pros and cons for each scope. For most of us, the Kowa held it's own against these formidable players for a little less than 2/3rds the cost of the better known brands. I bought the Kowa and never looked back.

I live in a town that has a small dealer that routinely allows customers to set up several of their spotting scopes on tripods in their parking lot outside their shop to judge differences for themselves. I chose the Swaro and Leica in their 80mm, non-HD configuration for my own personal test. We were looking at hikers on a mountain trail approx. one mile away.

Choosing glass is a very personal thing. Color distortion, clarity, amount of definition, darkness at the edges and ease of focus all just a few things to consider. After 15-20 minutes of side-by-side comparisons, the retailer brought out a Kowa in 80mm. By then several more customers were involved in my "taste test". Each had their own idea of pros and cons for each scope. For most of us, the Kowa held it's own against these formidable players for a little less than 2/3rds the cost of the better known brands. I bought the Kowa and never looked back.

The only place I could even attempt that is at Cabela's about 2 1/2 hrs from my house. They are the only place that has a large variety of spotting scopes. I have been wondering about the Kowa's. That's some sound advice, thanks.

Tank

I also use a luepold 12-40X60 HD and love its packability. Backed up with Leica's 10-42 ultravids.

p1010608j.jpg

I also use a luepold 12-40X60 HD and love its packability. Backed up with Leica's 10-42 ultravids.

How is clarity and light at max power? Do you see much distortion or does it come out of focus easily with adjustment to high power? What kind of tripod is that? That thing looks awesome.

Tank

Last edited:
The only thing Cabelas has that I would be interested in was the swaro's...but they are far out of my price range for what I want. I bought two Pentax 80ED's the other day and am very impressed...however I tried to put them into a bracket and I can't get them to mount close enough to get a full view thru both scopes at the same time. Needles to say they are for sale now. It looks like I'll be ging the Kowa route now.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts