Spotting Scope suggestions needed.

AJ Peacock

Well, Kirby tells me that the parts for my 338AM are either in the shop or being shipped (finally!).

So now I need to get a spotting scope. I currently have Zeiss 10x40BAT bino's that I use for most spotting. I also have the Swaro Laser Range Finder. The rifle will have a NF 5.5x15x50 on top.

I don't have a spotting scope and I and my hunting buddy both wear glasses.

We will be hunting western colorado in November for Elk, but the scope will obviously be used for all my long range endeavors.

I appreciate all your suggestions.

Thanks,
AJ

I have a Kowa 820 with a 21XWA and a 32X WA lens. It is heavy for extended back packing. I can count elk tines at ranges past 2500 yards. If I had it to do all over again I would get the angled body instead of the straight one (perhaps if I had the angled body I would say the opposite).
The large objective lens is just the same function as a rifle scope, it allows you to see better earlier and later when light is poor.

I wear glass and the Kowa is just fine for me.

The zoom lenses are usually not so clear once you get off center and for a spotting scope it is good to be able to use all of your FOV so you do less moving and shifting of the scope. The reason to have two lenses is so when mirage gets bad you can drop down to the lower power one and still function.

A critical component is the tripod. I have a cheap one and it shakes and trembles in the slightest breeze.

AJ, I got great information from this forum:

Spotting Scopes and Monoculars

Optics planet handles most of the high range optics and they give pretty unbiased info based upon the price range you give them. I cross checked with some pretty knowledgable friends and they agreed the advice I got at OpticsPlanet was spot on.

Bill

thx

Thanks Bob I was thinking about the Kowa 66mm, its a lot lighter than your beast!

Thanks Bill, great site at first glance, I'll spend some time there tonight.

Thanks guys
AJ

Well, I've never been one to refuse to pull the trigger.

I ordered the Kowa 663 ED with the Z9B lens.

I'm sure it will serve my purpose well.

Thanks for the input you guys,

AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.