spotting scope stand?

milanuk

For those of you who shoot from field positions such as prone, sitting, etc. what do you use for a spotting scope stand, either when huntin alone or spotting for another hunter?

I'm kind of getting sucked over into some centerfire rifle sports, and am looking at upgrading my spotting scope and stand. Seems like most of the stands for that kind of shooting are pretty low, and meant for relatively flat ground (firing line, shooting bench, etc.) but they afford excellent access to the scope from the prone and sitting positions if you set up your position accordingly. Anyone have any suggestions, comments? Right now I have a small fold-up model that fits on my backpack spotting scope (Bushnell Birder 15-45x) that could work OK w/ a decent 45degree angled eyepiece, but I'm open to suggestions, as it is pretty much worthless for anything other than ultra-low prone.

Monte

I use camera tripods in the field. Have two different sizes depending if we are likely to be sitting/standing behind the scope or using it prone. Beats the hell out of the little mickey-mouse stands that they sell for spotting scopes. Need decent ballheads and ability to lockup well. There are some very nice quick-detach heads for field use, you can drop the spotter onto the head and lock it in place in seconds. Bogen/Manfroto is good, lets me put a camera on for photo sessions or timer use.

Hmmm...

Don't know if we are talking the same kind of stands for spotting scopes... these (competition models) are pretty solidly made. I don't think I'd call them 'mickey-mouse' by any stretch of the imagination. Now, some of the little rinky-dink jobbers I've seen in the local sporting-goods stores for spotting scopes, yes.

For stand up, or seated i.e. from a stool/chair use, I'll agree the camera tripods are nice. But for lower to the ground use, the small ones don't seem very stable w/ a relatively small and light 60mm scope on them, much less a relatively large 77-82mm mini-Hubble like a Kowa TSN-1 or 821M. I think some of the competition stands have weights either built in or otherwise attachable to the bottom for stability. Guess a person could always hang a small sandbag from the center of the smaller camera tripods...

Anywho, keep 'em coming.

Thanks,

Monte

Milanuk,
From your post, I couldn't tell if your intended purpose for the scope stand was for hunting or competition ( but I do see you hanging out on the Highpower Boards).

As a Hunter and Highpower Competitor, I find the needs for a scope stand/tripod are very different depending on the purpose. For hunting, I'd like something lightweight and compact - so much so that I don't find a Spotting Scope practical (long scoping with one eye takes it's toll - short eye relief, limited FOV limit their usefulness for me as well). Bino's suit my style of hunting better.

Ian M, are there any quality tripod models that are compact and will allow scoping heights from belly to butt?

thequickad,
The Freeland Bipod has not been the "gold standard" for many years now. The Ewing took that crown over a decade ago, and Competitors have their choice of several that are much better than the Freeland today. Milanuk I'm sure is aware of the Ewing, Giraud and Ray-Vin Scope Stands.

ChrisF,

Yep, I've been looking around at most of those models. Kind of torn right now btwn the Ewing (the new 'gold' standard, made in-state, but more expensive) and the Ray-Vin (possible heir-apparent, and less expensive, but possibly longer lead time due to demand). I've been using a set of Bushnell rubber-armored 10x42 binocs, which work nice, but weigh a metric butt ton, it feels like. Also started using a Bushnell 'Birder' series 15-45x straight tube 60mm scope, which would be workable w/ a more stable stand (higher, less vibration in the wind, easier to pan) than the tiny little factory one which has exactly one virtue... it fits in the case w/ the scope. Using binocs from prone seems to crank on my neck, though I've been thinking about a set of the larger 20x observation glasses (think mini-BigEyes) on a small tripod, to have the best of both worlds.

crowmag,

Thanks for the link to the Bogen/Manfrotto tripods. $140 for just the leg?!? Now I gotta dig and see how much the head is gonna cost
wink.gif

Monte

Milanuk,
contact me offline if you want to see the new Military Spec. Ops. sniper stand that Ewing is making.
A mutual friend of ours, M700-Guy, has seen my stands.
I have 2 of them personally.
I have known Al Ewing for about 3 years, and I started working for him about 3 months ago to get the stands out to the Military.
If anyone else wants to see them send me an E-mail with "Ewing stands" in the subject area. That way I don't think it's more junk mail.
Ewing can make almost any combination of stand that is needed. From NRA Highpower to the Spec. Ops. and anything in between by changing the legs and or the blocks to steal to add weight.
Goodluck.
wink.gif

RedMan*

"Ewing scope stands,
simply the best!"

I still haven't found an ideal spotting scope stand, am interested in the Ewing just mentioned. The "mickey-mouse" tripods I referred to are the ones that most optics companies sell with their spotting scopes - they are all made in the same place and have different brand names on them (I have identical stands from Bushnell, Redfield and Simmons). Three folding legs, one bolt holds the scope on to a very wiggly platform that is adjusted up and down with a little wheel situated under it.

Problem is finding something that is either small enough to leave on the scope when in your pack, or real quick to hook-up to.
If you want to see really costy camera/spotting scope tripods, check out the Gitzos, they make Bogen/Manfrotos seem low-cost but they are superb.

I have not found the perfect tripod so maybe Milanuk's topic will help us all. My needs are for prone shooting at steel for the spotter/shooter thing where we trade off shooting and spotting every twenty shots or so. What I am looking for is a small, rugged tripod that will hook to the scope really quick, and have precise adjustments for up and down. Height is the question - for low-prone we don't need much height, for hunting in rocks or vegetation you might need enough height so that you can sit behind the scope.

For some types of hunting we carry a big tripod that we can stand behind, depends on the terrain and critter. Hunting for caribou in the arctic or N. Quebec is an example of where we sometimes left the spotting scope on a fairly big camera tripod for hours and took turns standing or sitting behind it.

Redman,
Is his "new" spotter's stand head any different than the one I got off of him 3 or so years ago? I'll see if I can post a pic...360 degree scope rotation in the vertical plane.

I sent Al a pic some friends sent me of the handy work of a Barrett in Afghanistan a few months back. Al replied "...and just think, I'm supplying the spotting scope stand to go with each of their Barrett 50 cal's."

Tell Al, I still need a stand that will fold up a bit more compact, weighs under 10 lbs and but will still raise up to be used Standing.

ChrisF,
If I send you a picture can you post it for me.
I have the digital camera but not the know how or the hardware to post it here.
confused.gif

IanM, I just sent you 2 pictures.
I also took another shot of it with it broke down. This is the Pic. that I would like to have posted if anyone here can bail me out. When I send the Pic. to (?)you I will give a description of what is what & how it operates.
Thanks, RedMan*

Redman,
Sure send the pics to me and I'll post them. Please tell Uncle Al that he needs to get off his but with Scopestands.com

ChrisF,
Al told me to tell ya to take care of that little one, shoot X's and to leave the tired old man alone.
grin.gif
He was laughing when I read your post to him on the phone.
I'll send you some pictures.
Thanks,
RedMan*

Guys,
I just posted my spare scope stand in the for sale section. These stands are very cool.
I am getting money together to purchase Mr. Jamison's V.S.308.
grin.gif

Thanks for your interest.
RedMan*

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.