Spotting scope size, 65mm vs 85mm

The Oregonian

Getting an ATX and trying to decide between 65 and 85mm...will be used for range work but that is not what I want to optimize for. Will also be used on hunts for mule deer and elk and therefore will be used on backpack and horseback, mostly day hunts coming back to base camp. Using an Eberlestock Team Elk pack.

i am replacing a Vortex 85 and weight or size hasn't really been a concern but it hasn't been on many hunts yet...Which size do you use, and what pushed you to the 65 or 85?

I like a 65 for all around,handy size can pack still.If youve been using a 85 then u know size and that is great for glassing.Im going sell my kowa 554 and 774 and go to just a mid size.Messing with to much gear and mnts etc.If mostly on horse,thats another matter.

The ATX 65mm is what I went with for hunting in our Southern Alps due to the weight and being able to pack it into my day pack. I was returning to a base camp each evening but all hunting was done on foot.
When I bought the scope I also bought a large Swarovski Binocular case that the spotting scope fits into snugly which makes it easy to fit into my pack, please see the photos.

Attachments

• 20191025_171357.jpg
    20191025_171357.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 191
  • 20191025_171519.jpg
    20191025_171519.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 199
The 85 is-better with light gathering. As far as clarity or crispness you can't tell the difference between the 2. If you going to haul in on your back 65 is the way to go. 85 is noticeably bigger and bulkier but do-able. Just depend a where you will use it more. If it more at the truck and range then bigger is better. If it more in your pack on your back then 65 is better.

As a long standing supporting vendor of this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options with you if you've got the time to give a call, 516-217-1000. This way we can discuss what would be best for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.