Spotting scope recommendations?

055CXPRO3 is the common model in the military and shooting world. But you still need a ball head. Which will be somewhere around $150 or more for one with a good weight rating.

190CXPRO3 is the other one.
Ya which ever one the marines run haha. If I was home I'd check the exact model.

Ya which ever one the marines run haha. If I was home I'd check the exact model.
We used the 055CXPRO3 for us Oceanside marines back when. With the Manfrotto 327rc2 ball head, hog saddle and the 200pl-14 quick release.

This is before ARCA's more expensive tripods obviously. However, the OP came in with a $1500 budget for everything, including glass. I don't think he or most people on here are about that life.

[h3][/h3]

Alright… I've decided I don't want to worry about upgrading in the future so I'm taking my $1500 budget out of the equation.
With that said, I have roughly $700 saved up with Cabelas points/gift cards that would be great to use towards the final purchase.
If I go the the Cabelas route, I'm looking at the Swarovski ATS 20-60x65. If I don't go the Cabelas route, I'm looking at the Kowa route (TSN-770 body, 25-60 wide angle eye price.
Sounds like I will like either option.

With all that said. What's your opinions?

Buy a good tripod setup with your cabela points/money and hound the classifieds and try and find a deal on a swaro. That's what I would do.

I agree with Recon$$ if you can be patient. I have the Kowa 77mm, and am very pleased with it.

The older Vortex Razor 16-48x was my favorite spotter by far. Plenty of magnification, easy to pack, and pretty clear. Since I've been out east for the past several years, I ended up selling it. I've used my brother's newer razor and didn't feel the glass was as clear as the previous generation.

I'm also saving for a Swaro - the glass is incredible.

Don't sleep on the Cabelas CXPro spotters. They are fairly light weight and have great quality glass. I have the 15-45x65 and have taken it to Colorado a few times and it always goes with me to the stand here in TX. Right now they have the straight 20-60x86 on sale for $599 and I may very well pick one of those up for sitting in the whitetail stand for the little extra zoom. I prefer the straight to the angled because alot of times it's mounted to the window in the truck or the window in the blind and not on a tripod

Last edited:
I like the two options you're down to of the Swarovski and the Kowa. Can't go wrong. If you have the time to wait, looking for a used version of one of these could save you a bunch. I agree with the suggestion to be thoughtful about the tripod, which will cost you several hundred dollars, but include weight in your thinking if you're typically packing this setup.

When I bought a high-end spotter I proceeded to buy a high-end tripod with a panning head. Excellent to use, but almost 5 pounds (tripod + head). Now I find myself searching for a stable tripod that might be half that weight. Wish I'd been more discriminating the first time.

My buddy and I each bought the Athlon Ares 15-45x65mm last year before we left for New Mexico. Very packable and reasonably light weight. Purchased from Doug on his recommendation. It's at least worth asking him about.

I have an older Zeiss 65mm with the dual focus knobs and much prefer to the newer body ring focus...something to consider. Swaro and Kowa are great, but ultimately dependent on your use case.

Sound like you NEED my 774 Kowa great shape 20-60 eye,soft case and there padded carry case $1500

Recent Posts