Spotting scope recommendations size and models

Iceman83

I am looking to purchase a spotting scope that will be carried in a day pack for Mule Deer and Antelope hunting the mid west.
I want enough magnification to see what I need to see but not sure I want the size and weight of a 80-85mm optic.
So any thoughts or recommendations that will do a good job and maybe not brake the bank. Thanks for the help guys.

Ice83, agreed 85 is to big to bulky , 65 mm would be easier to PAC and less weight ,market is flooded with options ,I'd suggest by used but if money's no problem then buy new ,deside if you like a straight look thru or angled spotting. Scope , here's the kiker, don't rush buy,take your time , there's buys out there every once n a while, top tier names Assure quality ,longevity , that's where buying used comes in you could save up to 1000/ 1500 compared to new ,good luck & many happy years of viewing to you !!!

The new Kowa 550 series is terrific. I have the straight model (554) It's a 15-45x55mm scope that weighs 29.1 ounces and has high end optics in it (including a fluourite crystal objective)

Optical quality is outstanding. Because of the lighter weight, you can use a lighter tripod as well.

Swaro 60mm, vortex razor 50mm, compact but still with excellent optics. really depends on what kind of magnification you need. if you're after ultimate trophy grading, then you'll want a better scope with more power. If you're just looking for animals to fill a tag, then I'd go with that small razor.

Another option Leupold used to make 20/25& 30 straight powered small straight see thru spotting scopes they call spotters haven't made them in yrs but I had one think it was 25 great glass cheaper 300 usd Rang less then a foot long forget the weight , wish I still had it , tripod is critical look at Bogen made in Italy .

The new Kowa 550 series is terrific. I have the straight model (554) It's a 15-45x55mm scope that weighs 29.1 ounces and has high end optics in it (including a fluourite crystal objective)

Optical quality is outstanding. Because of the lighter weight, you can use a lighter tripod as well.

Best backpack hunting scope there is I think. Crazy light and just supposed to be phenomenal clarity wise.

Kowa is on top for spotting scopes right now from what I've seen.

Just picked up a Leupold gold ring 12-40x60 and I really like it so far. I don't have a ton of experience with spotters but the two previous ones I've used I didn't get along with. The vortex 11-33 hurt my eye from squinting and the big vortex 20-60 made me motion sick lol. I did a bunch of reseaere on the Leupold and never read anything bad about it. It really seems to be just right for me. Has a fold out eye cup that's really nice. The focus is different than most I've been around, there is no wheel like the votex and others, the eye piece rotates which may seem like it could cause you to loose what your looking at while making the adjustment, that would be my only negative comment. Its different but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Besides my buddies Swarovski it's the nicest one I've used. I look forward to scouting with it in the coming months

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.