Spotting scope or Binos

cz512wmr

Hi, hunting Fox and Rabbit out to 300 and maybe 500 yards, would you choose binoculars or spotting scope? Also, what magnification would suffice.
Cheers

For something similar I use 15X58 Big Eyes binoculars on a tripod. If I think I found a jackrabbit I can take a closer look through the 4-24X rifle scope.

Binoculars, hands down. IMO, spotting scopes require too much hardware to be effective in the field for hunting purposes.
I'd probably want 20x ... but that's a personal choice.
Best bet is to stop by your local dealer, pick out an object about the size of the game you're hunting at 500 yards and take a look with something he has in stock. You'll know very quickly which suits you best.
And ..... expect to pay a hefty price for a good pair of binos. I'd expect to pay $600 to $800 (maybe a bit more) for a pair suitable for hunting. The glas is everything. If it's got good glass you can be pretty sure it's got good mechanics.

I use a pair leica 15x56 range finding binoculars to hunt the tops on New Zealand's west coast to hunt Thar it is far easier on the eyes, beats a spotting scope.

Yep, binos any day.

I carry Bushnell 10 X 42 ARC 1 Mile laser range finding binos and love them. Yeah, the glass is noe Swarovski but neither is the price. Plus I get far better laser ranging performance than my friend's pricier Ziess LRF binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts