Spotting scope or Binoculars….

IMO absolutely imperative you actually try the glass outside in real conditions side by side. Obviously, not always possible and it may be easier than you think. I have never heard of anyplace within.....well anyplace that will rent glass and that would be the best. I ended up asking someone I knew with Facebook (No I dont have Facebook nor am I getting it) to ask for me and sure enough I found the Meopta and Vortex. I'm lucky and just went out and glassed the hills for a few days keeping notes.
Ross Archery in Phoenix has glass for rent. I assume there are other places that rent optics in the US.

I currently have the Kowa TSN-770 w/25-60 eyepiece. Although it is very nice and very clear. I realized this past week, I'm not a huge fan of spending a ton of time with one eye squinted shut. I'm thinking about going to a set of higher magnification binoculars for scanning in the mountains while backpacking.

Anyone else in the same boat make the switch? Of just add in a set of binos and keep the spotter too?

Would like to hear from some others on this.
Hey GetReel

Why not get a Binocular eyepiece for your spotting scope? I believe KOWA may have them.

There are so many good thoughts on these forums! I've enjoyed participating for many years now and after a account reset I'm back to the beginning. So I'll introduce myself and start over.
My names Scott and I'm a 50 yo southwestern Idaho hunter that has "guided" my 3 sons to multiple freezer filling adventures. I hunt archery elk, and all other critters with rifles. (and occasional blowgun) Our primary means of hunting is backpacking on long, steep, hot (or freezing) enormous mountains that make my legs and lungs explode. But every year we return for the same experience. Fortunately we fill the freezer most years so we enjoy the heavy in, extremely heavy out experience. I currently own factory rifles, medium quality glass and try my best to create custom reloads for each gun. I'm happily married and have a daughter that wants a "sniper rifle" so she can shoot a deer next year.

Here's where my perspective on the question by the OP. Most of our glass is medium quality, with one rangefinding Leica bino. We run two spotters (Zen Ray and Vortex) on every almost every hunt.

Glassing off of a tripod is hands down the best way to find game. Anyone can see game walking around in the open and in daylight, and can do so with cheap glass. Finding slowly feeding or bedded game is another story. I wish I would have started this practice sooner. We glass with 12x and 10x bino's. Anything over 12x I can't handhold very well, its too shaky.

If I don't bring a spotter I regret it. We are always spotting things we want to check out without moving a mile closer. It just sucks to carry 56 extra ounces all over the place but the spotter is something we never leave without. I too cover an eye with a hand if using the spotter for hours.

So for what its worth I'd recommend spending the most money you can on quality glass and a lightweight tripod. If I could only take one it would be 12x binos, but thats because we hunt areas where we only seem to find game on ridges 2+ miles away! Haha

I can only recommend having both.

Scott

I just spent a week in more open muley country.Had my 10 x32 els,my mainstay.Had Ziess 15x56 window mnt for glassing.I usually just use my rifle scope 24-25 to judge in field but my March is picky,can tell better with my large ziess,my mark 5 better.For the country I was in wish I had my light vortex 15x and small tripod for field use,would been really better.Ive run many different spotters,bad both 554 and 774 Kowas.Right now have my ol Leupold 15x45x60,its just a handy size.I didnt like small field of view on baby kowa.Once you run good 15 x glass thats how you want to roll.Im going to end up with a quality 65 type spotter that Ill pack if needed

I know I piped in earlier. Like sp6x6 I just spent a week in open mule deer country. The spotting scope was the difference between passing and going after a deer. I didn't like the forks enough to make the stalk through my binoculars. It changed when we got on him via the scope and realized he was 28" wide. We got him. I think it sucks to carry but it's real nice to have.

Recon I passed two better then got to wire and had take a jerky buck heh.We dont have em like we use too.Had fun though

We saw some quality bucks despite not the greatest conditions with drought and growing seasons. Least you put meat down, best part. I'm on a week straight of venison over here.

I dropped the spotting scope for a pair of 18x binos on a monopod a few years ago. I still carry 10x42 on my chest but you the big glass for long range glassing in open country. The monopod is lightweight and allows me to glass from any position from standing to sitting. There are times that I wish I had a spotter to really judge something a long ways off, but that's when it pays to have a hunting partner with one.

I currently have the Kowa TSN-770 w/25-60 eyepiece. Although it is very nice and very clear. I realized this past week, I'm not a huge fan of spending a ton of time with one eye squinted shut. I'm thinking about going to a set of higher magnification binoculars for scanning in the mountains while backpacking.

Anyone else in the same boat make the switch? Of just add in a set of binos and keep the spotter too?

Would like to hear from some others on this.
Ever considered an adapter for your smartphone? DigiScope or others, or make your own. Even better is a product by TargetVision called HAWK...$250MSRP....I paid $167 at NRA Convention. (See review on YouTube in video titled "

Longshot Camera Systems HAWK Spotting Scope Camera

") Adapter quickly mounts to ocular of spotting scope and sends via WiFi signal the view to your tablet, phone, computer. App allows marking of shot strings, snap pics, use video mode. SME (Shooting Made Easy by GSM Outdoors also offers similar products as Spot Shot starting at about $119......although I paid $69 at Buckees Convenience/Gas Stores while traveling through Texas.. One model features a small video screen built into the adapter itself. The images shared were from companies' websites.

SME product
1639362883116.png

HAWK
1639363134884.png

1639363872601.png

1639363911289.png

Last edited: