Spotting scope options

Any idea Tract vs Athlon?

For hunting….glassing, shooting before season, carry in big day pack…what's your preference?
I have the tract and i can't say anything bad about it other then I wished they made a ritical for it in MOA. They make one for Mil-rad. For this reason only I'm selling mine. I have run it side by side with a Swarovski And they are close enough that I would save the $1000 bucks and go with the Tract.

I use the 11-33 x 50 angled version of this scope. Hard to find anything as clear or lightweight carry at this price point. I also prefer companies with long track records - I did not hear a lot of folks having issues with Vortex spotting scopes and like many American companies, if/when there is a problem, I expect a better experience with their warranty system. I'm always nervous on the last point with european glass.

TRACT is a US company. It is owner-operated. You have a problem, you're probably going to talk to the owners.

The Vortex Razor HD is the best bang for your buck IMO. I've had a couple of them still have one.

Off topic...not in your price range but....

Meopta makes NF spotting scopes....I love my NF, great spotter not lightweight nor cheap. You can get the Meopta version and save a couple hundred usually.

Swaro BTX is the best I've personally looked through. Stupid heavy and stupid expensive.

Last edited:
I purchased my meopta used although it was hard to tell it was ever used. Paid $1600, but it came with a scope cover and a tripod. Not sure if that is a good deal or not, but is somewhat in the price range. Good luck

I have a Vortex Razor 20-60x85 angled that I paid $1300.00 for it but they are now listed for $800.00. At the time it was the best Vortex made but after using it the last time I went hunting for mule deer in the desert and glassing deer and antelope at over a mile away, I found it lacking! I was able to make out the difference between deer and antelope but barely -- because the resolution could be better! If I had it to do over again and was limited to my $1300.00 or even $1500.00, I'd look for a used Swarovski spotting scope!

A friend bought a Kowa 550(?) $1300 or so I think and couldn't see crap through it, hard to get it to clear up at the range. Another buddy had a Vanguard kit he bought several years ago for $150(?) and never opened it until we went to the same range earlier this fall. And it worked fine and was 4x better than the Kowa since we could actually see the bullet holes at 250 yds. Go figure...

Just some useless antidotal experience...;):rolleyes:

I have a Vortex Razor 20-60x85 angled that I paid $1300.00 for it but they are now listed for $800.00. At the time it was the best Vortex made but after using it the last time I went hunting for mule deer in the desert and glassing deer and antelope at over a mile away, I found it lacking! I was able to make out the difference between deer and antelope but barely -- because the resolution could be better! If I had it to do over again and was limited to my $1300.00 or even $1500.00, I'd look for a used Swarovski spotting scope!
I had the same problem with Vortex and that's why I sold it and bought the Tract. Much better scope. Now I have a Gunwerks and it came with two optics, one with MOA reticle, the other one 20 x60 magnification. Love it. But out of his price range

I have Leupold 20x50,great packer very limited, you can fiend the 15-40x60 of same used 600-$1000,12'' x 36 oz one of the best bang for buck.Had mine probably 30 yrs.The small Kowa 553,sold,smaller than above but almost to small,FOV,shaky.774 Real nice glass really liked scope, liked it with the 30W. My main old Swaro STM,w/20x50W, but that past your budget.

I have Leupold 20x50,great packer very limited, you can fiend the 15-40x60 of same used 600-$1000,12'' x 36 oz one of the best bang for buck.Had mine probably 30 yrs.The small Kowa 553,sold,smaller than above but almost to small,FOV,shaky.774 Real nice glass really liked scope, liked it with the 30W. My main old Swaro STM,w/20x50W, but that past your budget.
Those little 20x50 leupolds are awesome! I picked one up this year but they are getting hard to find