Spotting scope for 600 yard bullet holes

Bob33

I'm getting started as a long range hunter/shooter. I plan to target shoot at distances from 300 yards up to potentially 600 yards.

What power and quality of spotting scope is necessary to see bullet holes at these distances? I am shooting both .25 caliber and .30 caliber rifles. I have a Bausch & Lomb 15-40x60 Elite scope. Will this suffice or do I need something of a higher quality and/or larger objective?

Scopes

I know you will hate this response...IT depends. If you aheva nice clear day with little mirage you proably could see the holes on the 40 power. But if you used the scope alot you know when the mirage strats up 40 power becomes very difficult to see detail.

One thing to help out is shoot white paper. That would give you the best chance of seeing holes. Shooting steel is much different. I can see impacts well past 600 yrds on nice days. I uses a 20-60 Nikon.

Side note--I ran a 600 benchrest match and most of the guys with 40 power scopes say they can spot the holes in the target. It is still difficult to see them when they hit in the blue part of the target.

I would say go give your scope a try..worst cases you get to do some shooting!

Willys

?

Jut buy one of the new March 10/60 power scopes for $2400 and you won't need a spotting scope. These scopes will resolve 6mm bullet holes at 600 yds. Not a rumor, just a fact.

There's no black/white answer to this. However, if you are going to long range hunt, you are going to need to be able to judge animals at long ranges. To me this is far more important, and requires even better optics. Get the best you can afford with a 60X top end. If you can in any way afford to, save some money for a while and get yourself a top end scope like Swaro or Leica. You can use these in the field and on the range. Other things that help to see hits at longer distances are targets like the "shoot and see" type or even better get your hands on some steel plate and paint it up. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.