Spotting Scope/Binos???

I own both and use both a lot when hunting big game. It has been my experience that if you were to choose one over the other that you should carry a good quality binocular (10x42 or larger) instead of a spotting scope. You will use the binoculars way more than a spotting scope. While hiking I use my binoculars every time I stop to catch my breath or when I find a good spot to glass. I will pull out my spotter and tripod when I find game at a long distance, or need to look further into the distance.
Many times when carrying just my binos, I wish that I had packed my spotting scope, but the binos are always the right choice if only taking one optic.

If u want to carry just one, I can't say enough good things about the Zeiss victory rf binos in 10x54. Ranged mule deer this yr at ranges up to 3100yds and could make out a buck. Couldn't see him well enough to judge accurate size very well, but was able to at 2600. The 54 objs make all the diff in the world and the zeiss glass is crazy clear. I have a swaro 20-50x80 ats spotter too, but have not yet carried both at once. Due to their weights, don't look forward to it
Opt for the Outdoorsman's tripod adapter for the Zeiss RF's. Works well.

I find Elk to be so easy to see because of their size I would normally carry a pair of 10x42s set up to go on a one of my light weight tripods. If lighting strikes and I get a great bull tag I'd considered my glass to look over antlers. I have a Leupold 12-40x60 spotter that will allow long range analysis of a bull that I'd likely choose. I've been hunting Coues deer for years so Elk look like a pink Cadillac walking around so maybe I have a skewed perspective. I would say from lots of glassing experience a good pair of light weight 12x50s would be a good compromise in big country, and always set up to attach to a tripod. If you have the $$$ those new Swarovski 12x42 NL Pures would be just about the perfect all around Elk bino I can think of. They are amazing, sort of sorry I looked through them hahaha.

I carry a great little pair of Maven 10x30 and a vortex razor 22-48x65 with tripod. I do this mostly because I like taking pics with a phone scope. Both are scaled down from what most people use. I did that for weight savings. The binos will do most everything I need, and if not I get the scope out. When I have to travel fast I will leave the scope behind, but always take the binos. I relate it to concealed carry. I have several pistols, but I generally end up taking the .380 Smith Bodygaurd because it is light and easy. I feel the same way about the Mavens. I have a great pair of Fujinon 8x42 HC and they have become my truck bino because of the weight.

I normal hunt 10x32 el,use my 24-25x rifle scope to check out quality or if miles away.Open deer or antelope Ill carry 15x50 in chest rig,there 28 oz, + 8 oz over my normal.If I have the 15x I usually have my 1# tripod.Some evenings in more open country I hike out ridge,usual mile or less and full glass,light spotter and 15x glass.Looking for next days action

When you guys are "Long Range Hunting," do all of you lug around a spotting scope or do you just carry binos? I know it probably depends on the hunt but if you are elk hunting, most of the time you have to do a lot of hiking. This year on our second day, I was so worn out I didn't even carry binos! 🤣 And if you are just carrying binos, what magnification are you using? The last couple of years I have been using Nikon Monarch 12x42's and I have been thinking of upgrading. Thanks for your input!
Binos are great for minimizing eye fatigue on long scans. Spotting scopes typically offer higher magnification.....12x vs 45x is a world apart. Typically need tripod for stabilization with any larger magnification Suggestion, if you pack a tripod, run a high magnification rifle scope......maybe a 7-35...... with a digiscope on the ocular to be able to watch with both eyes reducing eye strain, using scope plus phone zooms for max power. Find it works well, avoids extra weight of large spotter. Slip digiscope off scope ocular, and you are already on target for shot with rifle. In addition to diziscope, there are wi-fi units that mount to the scope ocular, sending image to your phone or even tablet.

I carry 10 x 42 sworo's in a chest harness. I'll set with my pack upright, between my knees and use it for a rest for the binoculars. I don't usually carry a tripod. I also carry a Nikon cool pix 900 or 610 camera. The 900 weighs 2 pounds with 83x zoom.
The 610 weighs 19 oz with 60x zoom. Both have anti shake and I leave them on auto focus. So I'll glass as far as a couple of miles with the sworo's to locate. Then take a half dozen quick photos, freehand and inspect. At a little over a pound, the 610 is almost unnoticeable in my pack.

One of my sons uses 12 x 50 sworo's and a Swarovski spotting scope and tripod when he is hunting critters or sheds.

My other son uses 15x 50 binoculars and a tripod.
They always seem to find critters before I do when we hunt together!

Binos are great for minimizing eye fatigue on long scans. Spotting scopes typically offer higher magnification.....12x vs 45x is a world apart. Typically need tripod for stabilization with any larger magnification Suggestion, if you pack a tripod, run a high magnification rifle scope......maybe a 7-35...... with a digiscope on the ocular to be able to watch with both eyes reducing eye strain, using scope plus phone zooms for max power. Find it works well, avoids extra weight of large spotter. Slip digiscope off scope ocular, and you are already on target for shot with rifle. In addition to diziscope, there are wi-fi units that mount to the scope ocular, sending image to your phone or even tablet.
Forgot to add in previous comment, as the old Toyota commercial said, "When you go until you are the prey."........another advantage of the digiscope/wi-fi transmitter scanning method....two eye viewing on phone/tablet.....is the added peripheral vision when spotting in toothed/clawed critter living rooms. Eyes buried in a spotting/rifle scopes/binos for long periods makes one easy pickings as the prey. Think situational awareness as in Left of Bang. Out there, you aren't always the apex predator.

Last edited:
I mostly use my Leica Ultravid 10x42 binoculars, I replaced my heavy 85 mm spotting scope and strong tripod which weighed over 8 lb. I now carry the 28 oz. Kowa 554 and a very light tripod which is enough for that spotter, Optics are excellent, and I halved the weight,