Spotting Scope/Binos???

Colorado Luckydog

When you guys are "Long Range Hunting," do all of you lug around a spotting scope or do you just carry binos? I know it probably depends on the hunt but if you are elk hunting, most of the time you have to do a lot of hiking. This year on our second day, I was so worn out I didn't even carry binos! 🤣 And if you are just carrying binos, what magnification are you using? The last couple of years I have been using Nikon Monarch 12x42's and I have been thinking of upgrading. Thanks for your input!

I quit carrying a spotter about 7 years ago (for those reasons).

I carry Leica 15x56 Range finding binos only now.

I'm not a trophy hunter, but I'm usually looking for a big framed buck. I can tell from a long ways with my 15's if it's a deer worth me going after or not (I don't need a spotter).

For elk I kill any legal bull, again, you don't need a spotter to determine that.

Then again, I'm not really a "long range" guy. My shots are usually less than 500

This is from this year
6FAE478E-8C14-41B7-B5CB-C1BA3597D5B1.jpeg
2E6378A4-C0FD-4F00-94F3-E44A4A18962A.jpeg

If u want to carry just one, I can't say enough good things about the Zeiss victory rf binos in 10x54. Ranged mule deer this yr at ranges up to 3100yds and could make out a buck. Couldn't see him well enough to judge accurate size very well, but was able to at 2600. The 54 objs make all the diff in the world and the zeiss glass is crazy clear. I have a swaro 20-50x80 ats spotter too, but have not yet carried both at once. Due to their weights, don't look forward to it

Really depends. Most the time I go not carry bios with me and like above I can tell weather I like it or not. Often if I want to see more detail I'll get behind my scope and use that as a spotter.
Many times it is nice having the spotter with you. In your case it was more than you wanted to handle so do t bring it bring your bios and enjoy yourself.

Heck no I don't pack a spotter deep or far. Only my binos Leica Geovid 10x42's. I am not a fitness freak and the other day tracked a cougar for four miles in knee deep heavy snow up and down. Freak I was getting tired when he lost us on a travelled road. I only pack a scope when I know I will need it.....then maybe a couple miles one way. Even on horses I seldom add that weight for him to lug around "just in case". For me it would be like him kicking me in the teeth "just in case" I needed it. The biggest thing I have done to increase my glassing ability is use my pack, stick, or tree limb to hold my binos steady. Not packing no dang tripod either. I can tell if I see a buck or bull if I need to go after it or get a better look with my binos....even miles away. Yes I have hiked in to find it was not what I thought it was going to be. So what, I was not lugging another 7-8 lbs of bulky glass around for exercise. I use a chest harness for my binos and it helps a lot. I can even shoot my bow with them on, and shoot prone just fine. I don't know your eye quality.....you will be shocked on what you can see if your binos are steady. 12x not easy to hold steady and you are giving up almost a MM of light with those. Try some 8.5x42 and 10x42 or 10x50 at all times and you will see the difference. Good luck and get the best glass you are willing to pay for and provides the clarity you are ok with.

Only pack a spotter when necessary and it rarely is. Trophy hunts is the main issue. For example it is almost a requirement when sheep hunting or guiding. It is very hard to judge legal and getting close without max effort and wasted time is not acceptable. For deer and elk, IF I have to use a higher mag, I can scope it, I hate scoping things tho because I see people scoping people so its personal hate for it. I will do it, if I have too. Another example is judging coyote vs wolf or big cat vs smaller at distance.

I carry lecia 10x42 and before that was swaro 10x50. 10x is minimum for open country. If you going to 12-15x you generally need a tripod or something to reduce shake.

I got a pair of 12x binos last year and with those on a tripod I think I can do all that I need. I just want to tell if it's a decent buck or not. Not looking to count inches or points. I like my 10x better for closer stuff and hand holding.

I carry my 10x50 binos. Never carried a spotting scope under hunting conditions.

Granted I know a lot of guys that do. They want to be able to spot a critter a mile or more away and be able to determine exactly what it is and size so they know if they want to head off in pursuit of the animal.

As I'm happy to shoot the deer/elk to put meat in the freezer, knowing how big it is before I hike over to it for a shot doesn't seem to make much difference to me.

Now if I'm trying to collect video of the hunt a phone/camera mounted on the spotter would be handy… I just use mine while target shooting…

Normally I carry my Leica Geovid 10x42 binoculars, excellent for spotting and immediate ranging without having to switch devices. I have on occasion carried a spotting scope as well, to get some cool videos of deer with a phone camera attachment. With a 40-60 power spotter, you will be able to notice things you might not with binoculars, but spotters are definitely heavier and less convenient to use.

If u want to carry just one, I can't say enough good things about the Zeiss victory rf binos in 10x54. Ranged mule deer this yr at ranges up to 3100yds and could make out a buck. Couldn't see him well enough to judge accurate size very well, but was able to at 2600. The 54 objs make all the diff in the world and the zeiss glass is crazy clear. I have a swaro 20-50x80 ats spotter too, but have not yet carried both at once. Due to their weights, don't look forward to it
Ditto! I use the same glass on the binos! The best thing about them is the low light performance. It's amazing!

How are you guys able to hold those 12x still enough? Are you using sticks? Or tripod? I just couldn't stand all the wiggling and even made a chest rest I flipped up to hold them better. I eventually sold them and have only carried my old cheaper set of Jason 7x35 permafocus.

I'm in nwpa Tho, so a different kind of country. I've looked at the moon with my spotter more than I've looked at game. I do use it sometimes for woodchucks tho when the grass gets taller.

Last edited: