Spotting scope - angled or straight?

Spotting scope - angled or straight eyepiece?

• Angled

Votes: 592 46.2%
  • Straight

Votes: 689 53.8%

• Total voters
I use the straight ( swaro armored telescope version) collapses into a small package and has the interchangealbe eyepiece .
nmhunter

I own both, and prefer the strait eyepiece. Why? I wear glasses, and tend to get a better focus. But I also used the the angled one for years with out a hitch
gary

straight is what works for me.

when hunting I aim it in direction of the pray and find it pretty easy. To find the pray while looking down is awkward.

When looking into severe angles whether uphill or downhill is not a problem with the straight type.

i use an angled for pistol shooting or sitting while i'm spotting for someone but when i'm shooting my rifle from the prone position i use a straight just because thats what i'm most comfortable using

I have only had one angled spoting scope and it was one of the original heavy, boxy
Swaro. All my other spotting scopes, of which there have been B&L, Bushnell, Leupold Gold Ring 12x40-60, have been straight. Old habits are hard to break.

My spotting scope is straight. Why? Because that's what was on sale at the time. I know that's the worst reason but it worked for me at the time. Sportsman's Warehouse was closing their Vegas Valley stores and the spotter I bought I got for 40% off their regular price. BTW it's a Nikon20X60X80.
Chas

I prefer the straight spotting scopes simply for the fact that i use it 75% of the time for hunting and vegetation usually forces me to set up the scope high enough where an angled scope might not be as comfortable for my needs.

Straight for Hunting and Spotting for long range shooting events with multiple targets
at different distances and spread across a course of fire

Angled for the bench if you are on one target most of the time .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.