Spotting scope advice

Highvoltage

Looking for some advice on a spotting scope, I've used the vortex diamondback and can't see target holes at 300 yds. Does anyone use a spotter that allows them to accomplish this that's Budget friendly? I know with glass you get what you pay for but right now a 1k spotter isn't in the budget. Budget friendly meaning less than $500.

I just got back a Vortex Viper 15x45x60 I sent in for repair. I've sent in a Viper 6x24x50 and a Strike Eagle 4x24x50 rifle scopes . Have others . Have a low end Athlon 6x24x50 scope. Sent in once. Replaced. Second one the paralax adjustment is worthless past 500 yds. I don't have the energy to send in again . I got aa Athlon Midas whatever 4.5x27x50 scope on sale. $700 for $400. Like it and no problems. I'll stick to Leupold.

Last edited:
I use a Celestron C90. It's a little bulky, you need a solid tripod, with the 32mm eyepiece I can see .308 holes clearly at 300 meters.

I've had it for years, so it's an old model, the newer C70 mini mak does the job in a smaller package.

Disadvantage of the C90 is fixed magnification, and I have a few eyepieces, the end result is over the years I use the 32mm for everything, a higher magnification is useless in mirage.

The C70 says it has a variable zoom eyepiece included.

Vanguard endeavor. Lifetime warranty. Pretty good. I would get the 82 obj if looking for small holes at distance

Thanks for the advice, would these also double as something to take on a backpack hunt for elk? Needing something to do double duty so to speak

Check out cabelas last month I bought a vortex razor for around $600. It only goes to 33x but I am able to see 6mm holes at 300.
When I purchased it said it was 20-60x and I didn't open it or realize till I was in Texas and used it anyway. It's very nice and fits what I need it for. Spotting shots to 400 on paper and take with time hunting. Fairly light and I have it on top of a tripod that double as sticks.
First time out it tipped over in the wind and all I said was glad I hit vortex. Lol

Find 2 shooting buddies.. each pay 600 and buy a used Swarovski, worth the money. I have done this in the past and it has worked really well! Keeps more cash in the pocket to reload

Thanks for the advice, would these also double as something to take on a backpack hunt for elk?

Hunting and target spotting are two different things.

For hunting you need a good optical quality [compact] bino, for holes in paper at range you need a good optical quality spotting scope.

Magnification is not as important as optical quality, if possible, try before you buy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.