SPONSOR PROFILE - Third Generation Shooting Supply - B.J. Bailey

Andy Backus

Field Editor
Staff member
Please give me an overview of what your company does and where you are located.

www.ThirdGenerationShootingSupply.com

We are located in El Reno, OK. About 20 miles west of Oklahoma City. We offer guns, ammo, optics and reloading componants at reasonable prices. We want to make the shooting sports affordable for everyone, regardless of budget.

How long have you been in business, how did you get started, and who are some of the key members of your operation?

Third Generation Shooting Supply is a subsidiary of Gene Sears Supply. Gene Sears has been in business for over 50 years and is legendary in the shotgunning world. B.J. Bailey, Ryan Sears and Steve Elmenhorst are all grandsons or grandson-in-laws to Gene Sears and they represent the third generation in the family business. When the third generation began working there, they brought the same passion for precision rifle shooting that Gene has for the shotgun sports. The result is a sporting goods store and website with products offered by shooters for shooters. If we don't believe in it, we don't sell it.

Can you describe and give me a brief history of some of your hot products or services?

While we carry reloading componants, guns, ammo and optics, I believe one of the more unique things we offer are our custom rifle componants. You can litterally buy everything you need for a build right here. McMillan Stocks, Surgeon actions, Krieger barrels and Jewell triggers are a few of these items. No need to wait months for parts when we have them instock!!

What are some of your company's future goals?

Our goal is to grow our web based business so that everyone in the shooting world knows about Third Generation.

What new products or services can we look forward to from your company in the future?

We are going to add a gunsmithing option to our website soon. We are working with Jon Beanland of Beanland Custom Guns to offer not only the parts but an option of just ordering the rifle. Hopefully that will be up by mid year.

What is your opinion of the future of the long-range hunting and shooting industry?

The future will be what we make. The opportunity is there as more and more people become interested in long range shooting and hunting. I believe we are just scratching the surface and this segment of the firearm and sporting industry will continue to grow.

Tell me about your (or some of your team's) personal hunting style, location, species, etc.

While we are limited to whitetail deer here in Oklahoma when it comes to big game, we all enjoy going out west for mulies, elk and antelope. The ability to shoot long range has completely changed the way we hunt. Most of the time, we set up to where the closest shot is around 300 yds. We have all killed numerous deer over 500 yds. Ryan killed two antelope a few years ago in Wyoming. One at 375 yds and one at 950 yds. On the same trip I (B.J.) shot one at 550 yds and also connected on a 1330 yd shot. Steve and I are going elk hunting this fall and hopefully we will have some good stories to tell come mid October!!

Tell me about your (or some of your team's) long range shooting experience.

We all actively shoot long range. While Steve and Ryan do it to enhance their chances while big game hunting I compete regularly shoot competitions. I have had several top 5 finishes at local UKD steel matches and finished second in the Steel Safari in New Mexico in 2010. Adam Roberts, our computer guy, also shoots the competitions w/me. He also has several top five finsishes and won the 4R Rifle Club Balloon Shoot in 2008. Not trying to brag but there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here!!

What non-hunting and shooting hobbies or activities do you participate in?

If I'm not hunting or shooting I'm spending time w/my family. Just about every free moment I have is spent doing something related to hunting and shooting.

How long have you been an active member of LongRangeHunting.com and how have you found LRH to be beneficial to you personally or to your business?

I have been on LRH for 7 years. It is how I got started. I will never forget trying to argue that a 125 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip at 3940 fps out of a 300 RUM was a great long range load!! I started from scratch and have learned everything I know from either trial and error or from people on this site. We sold alot of stuff on this site before there were even sponsors!! So I guess the answer would be yes and yes!!

What hunts or other trips are on your bucket list?

I think a red stag hunt in New Zealand and a true, pack in high country mule deer hunt are the only two hunts that would be on my bucket list. Maybe some day!!

Tell me about your family.

All of us have been blessed with wonderful, healthy families. Ryan has 3 girls, 6 months to 7 years. Steve has a 6 month old son and I have a 5 year old daughter and a 2 year old son. They are constantly building "guns" out of lego blocks so hopefully I will have a couple of hunting/shooting partners in a few years!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.