Spining apart .224 bullets

Nomad

Have a problem with bullets coming apart, looking for a solid bullet 70 gr and heavier.
Shooting a 1/7 twist over 3700fps 75 and 80 amax, barnes and others have come apart
generally the first 50 yards..
Today shot some Barnes 70grs they stayed together, looking for a higher BC in a bullet..
Thanks......

Have you tried the Berger "target" bullets made with a heavier jacket? The 90 grainers are what I would try before using solids.

Have a problem with bullets coming apart, looking for a solid bullet 70 gr and heavier.
Shooting a 1/7 twist over 3700fps 75 and 80 amax, barnes and others have come apart
generally the first 50 yards..
Today shot some Barnes 70grs they stayed together, looking for a higher BC in a bullet..
Thanks......

How did the Barnes bullets come apart??????????????/

A Sierra 80gr HPBT has a rather heavy jacket and should take the stress.

I used an 8 twist and launched 75gr A-Max bullets at the same velocity - never dusted a single bullet. I believe that if you moly coat the bullets and then load them into the lands that you will significantly reduce jacket stress

You may want to try a few of the 90gr bullets that have emerged lately.

Hooker Tactical has solids found a 80gr with a BC over .6
Great to work with and answered all questions.
Many Thanks to All

Shot the 60gr. GS for over a year in a .224 TTH with a 1in 8 twist and never had a failure. Switched over to the TSX when they came out and still no failures. Have been loading them in a 22-243 ACK. lately and still no failures. It has a 1 in 7 twist and cronograph 3760.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.