Speer out of business?

Speer was supposed to be releasing their Impact bullets, but I haven't heard much about them other than a little bit on their website. It looked to be a lot like an AccuBond and would most likely be a very good mid to long range bullet option for big game.

I ordered and received a couple boxes of Speer bullets last week from Midway. Most of the selections were out of stock,same as most other retailers and mail order outlets. Pretty much everything,component wise,is scarce right now,and the less expensive the item,the higher the demand. I I would expect this to continue until after the elections,as long as we keep the current party in office. If not,the panic buying will continue.

Demand is way up and the metals supply market is tight.

I have had excellent results with the 125gr TNT in .308 winchester with 52gr of 748. This load has had good effect on cull deer if shot placement is appropriate.

The 120gr spbt works great in the 25-06 with 52gr of H4831.

I have heard good things about the 168gr match but have no first hand experience.

I dealt with Speer directly about three weeks ago. I had a box of bullets that was short one bullet. Not a big deal to me but wanted to let them know in case there was a larger issue. Can't fix it if you don't know about it. They contacted me and sent me five bullets for free!! I didn't ask for a thing, they just sent them. That's great customer service. I'll be using more of their products once I can get my hands on them.

Demand is way up and the metals supply market is tight.

I have had excellent results with the 125gr TNT in .308 winchester with 52gr of 748. This load has had good effect on cull deer if shot placement is appropriate.

The 120gr spbt works great in the 25-06 with 52gr of H4831.

I have heard good things about the 168gr match but have no first hand experience.

Wow, I would not think the TNT's would have enough penetration for deer, regardless of shot placement. These are the best bullets going, value speaking, and I love them. I load them in my little 300 BLK and plink with them with my 16" 308 in the off season using 50-52 grains of 748. Good to hear they can take something other than varmints.

Wow, I would not think the TNT's would have enough penetration for deer, regardless of shot placement. These are the best bullets going, value speaking, and I love them. I load them in my little 300 BLK and plink with them with my 16" 308 in the off season using 50-52 grains of 748. Good to hear they can take something other than varmints.

Gotta pick your shots. This is for culling deer where its not a particular deer im after. I wait for a slight quartering away shot, slip it behind the on-side leg, through the heart and lungs. Total jello. They don't go far, if at all. But put it in the shoulder, yer gonna have a bad time.

IMO they have always been one of those manufacturers that were never real prominent in the SGS at least in my area. Not that they don't make quality products, just rarely seen in the stores. Online is always different.
Vernon SPEER started making bullets after WWII when none were to be had from empty 22cases. His brother started Cascade Cartridge lndustries making explosive rivets for industry. He began making primers (CCI) the same reason Vernon was making bullets. Then there's Roger Huntington to round out the trio of the Rock Chuck Bullet Swage Company... He was making swaging dies for people to make their own boolits. Roger developed a swaging press, the ''Rock Chucker''. Later the 3 companies were owned by Omark lndustries.
lf you needed special dies for your personal wildcat ctg RCBS would make it for you. Broke an RCBS product, no problem. A new one is in the mail.No more special dies l hear, along with 2/3 of their catalog. lf you had a loading question a SPEER ballistic expert was a dial away. Same with CCI primers. Vista came along and ate them ALL.
NOW, lf you have a problem you may as well call the MAN IN THE MOON.:mad:

Last edited:
All of the handloading supply companies show no stock for Speer bullets. Is Speer still in business? I have always loved their products.
got the latest NRA magazine yesterday speer /federal was awarded a 112 million dollar contract to homeland security to supply 9mm gold dot ammo for duty ammo. Looks like they are stocking up too.

They were just rewarded a contract with the border patrol for an ammunition contract. This was 112 million so it may be difficult to find gold dot anything for the immediate future

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts