Speer btsp too soft?

chainsaw

Hi,have any of you used Speer btsp for hunting game?my .308w likes them but I don`t know if I do.Seems they copper foul my barrel quickly.If they were a good solid performer on big game I could probably live with the fouling problem,but if they aren`t real good for game I`d rather not spend all the time getting the copper out.
Also how are Hornadys interbond bullets?thanks.

They usually shoot great groups buts that's where it ends... driving them at 7mm mag velocities in my experiences causes complete failure. Maybe at slower velocities they might stay together but not at magnum velocities. Just get some nosler partitions or barnes x-bullets and end your pain, they may not be benchrest quality but we're shooting at basketball sized targets while hunting. Have no experience with the other hornady bullet.

I have shot quite a few deer with 100 and 120 grain speers with good results but they are pretty explosive. If you are after anything larger than deer, there are better options.......Rich

I would not use them in my 300WM for the reason as previous poster, but 308 is a different story. They are really shooting in my 308, i just found out & "rated BC" is high but I haven't verified as yet.
I am taged out, but I want my son to take a couple of Deer with that bullet in the 308.
Here are some reviews from Midway Speer Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 165 Grain Spitzer Boat Tail Box of

Also, Ballistic studies folks are high on them at 308 velocities:
.308 Winchester (7.62 NATO)

Read the handloading section.

Hope they do what I expect in a 308, priced cheap for volume shooting

Hi,have any of you used Speer btsp for hunting game?my .308w likes them but I don`t know if I do.Seems they copper foul my barrel quickly.If they were a good solid performer on big game I could probably live with the fouling problem,but if they aren`t real good for game I`d rather not spend all the time getting the copper out.
Also how are Hornadys interbond bullets?thanks.
My old savage 99 .243 shoots them more accurately than anything else.

Hornady inter bond is not really comparable at all. Do you by chance mean interlock?

The interlock is a cup and core soft point like the Speer but still a good bit tougher.

The inter bond is a core bonded polymer tipped bullet like an accubond or a scirocco.

Agree that at 308 velocity they will be fine. Speer hot cor will hold together a bit better. Hornady interbond is a excellent bullet out of my 280 AI. No need to avoid shoulder shots with them and expand reliably. As Calvin45 mentioned it's similar in performance to the accubond.

I shoot and have shot a lot of the Speer BTSP, and I really like them. I shoot them in 308 using a 165, 280 using a 130 and 160, 284 using a 130 and a 160, and 180 in 300WM. I have NONE of the fouling issues you mention. They are very easy to get shooting well, and they kill game very well. If they are pushed hard they act like a frangible and in some cases I do just that, the 130 at nearly 3100 out of the 280 is a whitetail stomper. Shot options are limited to broadside or quartering away unless head/neck shots are an option for you or the shot is long and impact velocity is down below 2800ish. The 180 pushed hard out of a 300WM will also go frangible, it's a lot much on 100lb deer but they won't go anywhere. The 165 in 308 is a deer and hog stomper, we are running them about 2550-2600 out of an 18" and they will go 24" plus deep through a hog anywhere you want to shoot them and regardless of what bone is in the way from just about any reasonable distance.

To me these are a little softer than Sierra GameKings, but very much in the same vein. Push them faster than they are designed to function and they will 'blow up'. You may want that and you may not, if not run them 2800 or less impact velocity and watch them shine. 2600 is even better if you want advertisement mushrooms and/or exits every time. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use the 30 cal 180 on elk, but I would load it where it performs the way I want it to.

I shoot and have shot a lot of the Speer BTSP, and I really like them. I shoot them in 308 using a 165, 280 using a 130 and 160, 284 using a 130 and a 160, and 180 in 300WM. I have NONE of the fouling issues you mention. They are very easy to get shooting well, and they kill game very well. If they are pushed hard they act like a frangible and in some cases I do just that, the 130 at nearly 3100 out of the 280 is a whitetail stomper. Shot options are limited to broadside or quartering away unless head/neck shots are an option for you or the shot is long and impact velocity is down below 2800ish. The 180 pushed hard out of a 300WM will also go frangible, it's a lot much on 100lb deer but they won't go anywhere. The 165 in 308 is a deer and hog stomper, we are running them about 2550-2600 out of an 18" and they will go 24" plus deep through a hog anywhere you want to shoot them and regardless of what bone is in the way from just about any reasonable distance.

To me these are a little softer than Sierra GameKings, but very much in the same vein. Push them faster than they are designed to function and they will 'blow up'. You may want that and you may not, if not run them 2800 or less impact velocity and watch them shine. 2600 is even better if you want advertisement mushrooms and/or exits every time. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use the 30 cal 180 on elk, but I would load it where it performs the way I want it to.
It's funny too…that old 99 .243 i mentioned can pop milk jugs out to 400 yards with 100 grain Speer btsp. Which isn't much compared to what rigs on this forum can do but for a 2 piece stock rear locking non free floating pencil thin barreled lever gun with a fixed 4x weaver scope shooting mixed headstamp loads with BULLETS THAT HAVE VISIBLY DEFORMED / INCONSISTENT TIPS it's pretty remarkable haha.

It's funny too…that old 99 .243 i mentioned can pop milk jugs out to 400 yards with 100 grain Speer btsp. Which isn't much compared to what rigs on this forum can do but for a 2 piece stock rear locking non free floating pencil thin barreled lever gun with a fixed 4x weaver scope shooting mixed headstamp loads with BULLETS THAT HAVE VISIBLY DEFORMED / INCONSISTENT TIPS it's pretty remarkable haha.
I believe that. My dad has a Savage 99F in 284 that is very accurate also, 5 rounds under an inch at 100 on demand with a Durango made Redfield. Most of the time well under an inch, I'm sure it doesn't hurt that he can flat shoot and has been his primary rifle for 50ish years. Rifle and scope are both from '71 maybe '72? It really likes the Sierra GameKing 160's and Hornady 154 Interlok bullets. He's killed a rail car load of elk and mule deer with it. And NO, I won't tell anyone where a 99F in 284 is LOL, he will never give it up and neither will I.

I believe that. My dad has a Savage 99F in 284 that is very accurate also, 5 rounds under an inch at 100 on demand with a Durango made Redfield. Most of the time well under an inch, I'm sure it doesn't hurt that he can flat shoot and has been his primary rifle for 50ish years. Rifle and scope are both from '71 maybe '72? It really likes the Sierra GameKing 160's and Hornady 154 Interlok bullets. He's killed a rail car load of elk and mule deer with it. And NO, I won't tell anyone where a 99F in 284 is LOL, he will never give it up and neither will I.
I don't have money for impulsive gun buys right now (though I impulsively bought some this year 🤣) but I just looove savage 99s

If one pops up locally in .250 savage, .284 win, or .358 win it'll be mighty hard to resist 😁

Old tread but judo find it.

Got a few deer with 150gr speer btsp with my 308 over 45.5gr varget from 150yrd to 200yds and dead deer everytime.

Got some with a 7mm rem mag wtith 160gr btsp over 61gr h4831 at 200yds... dead deer too.

No exit wound in most case but deer dont go far.

Will try 180gr in my 308 next season, load still to develop

Shame you're so far away. There's a sale next Sunday where I live that has some beautiful Savage 99s for sale. Old ones & newer. I bet there's at least 5 or 6 in 300 Savage, a few 308, 243, 250-3000, 284 Win , 358 Win. And just look at this beauty, A Browning 65 Highgrade in 218 Bee. Unfired in box.
AL9nZEUY8pPLw2mSBiwEw8WqO3s71vAiC27PF6k5aNnqgVNOj48SRvg_he8rGELmODicnRZkqj3J2XyNPImoHQr3n3t9iFpkJqDSVL5rQBfXsa3eB0l6z5tv3oX3pi-PuL1fxKg9f_tTsRILHPwzHFURE6Egdw=w947-h633-no

AL9nZEX6cwMPPlkGEFmyWfNGUFg-6LJdbR5uRYO_KuSH8untcB8ObrIq71AuYL8svqzUlsjmzSpzaMI8W_9kvmD3Z-Rr04-Dt2dVBJBO5Byg-FoGOBGh3iFa3ZwyACtOOMZaWI7kRhplSgttxa5Ni7219cCrPA=w947-h633-no