Speer 52 gr HPBT question

G

Picked some of these up as well as a speer manual. Problem...The book calls for Remington cases and ccI Primers....All I have is Winchester cases. I'd love to try these but have no Rem cases. The Hodgdon manual shows a 55 gr SP with winchester ases...Could I just use that data? Any way to use the Winchester cases and the CI primers? I cant seem to find data anyplace for this combo. Oh, this is for a Rem 700 in 22-250 Tried the Sierra 52 gr HPBT WOW...good groups...Cant seem to get the 40gr noslers to group well using VArget powder either

Thanks in advance

Joe

lablover,
With the cases that are shown in the Speer book, it doesn't mean that you can't use a different case.

I usually go with Win. brand in this cal., being the Win.'s are a little heavier case. I have very very little problem with "necks splitting" with the Win.....but with Rem I do. I can get more reloads from the Win cases too.

I have shot the Speer 52HP (non match) for many years; using RL-15 w/36.7grs and it has worked very good in several rifles. This powder works very good in low temps to.

-----------
Zod

[ 07-27-2004: Message edited by: Zod ]

I always thought it was a no-no to switch components...I'll give it a try and see
smile.gif

Thanks

Lablover,
One of the benefits of handloading is being able to try as many combinations as you wish to find loads that work best in your rifle. Mix and match is the name of the game.
You will learn with experience that some cases, primers or whatever simply shoot better groups in a particular rifle. That is what we can do that the factories cannot - taylor the load precisely to our rifle.
As long as you start your powder charges at recommended levels, switching primers, cases or bullets should ot impose a safety concern - but start low and work up.
Your caution is wise and natural, but you are not limited by what is the manuals.
Best luck with your loading and shooting.

Ok

Lets see if I got this right

Lets say I look at a sierra manual and it says load 36 gr of varget with win brass sierra 52 gr hpbt Win primers etc. Can I safely use that same load and switch to CCI benchrest primers? This is just a example.

I've done lots of shotgun reloading and was told to never substitute anything...I assumed it was the same for rifles...I have loaded lots for rifle but always stuck to what the manual said to use.

Man...Now I'm getting excited
smile.gif

Joe

When you look at that Sierra loading manual you will notice maximum and minimum loads with each powder and bullet.

What you should NOT do is switch components when using maximum loads. Minimum or moderate loads allow you to safely switch primers, bullets of same the weight or cases.

Once a component is changed then you can work up to maximize accuracy or velocity.

VH

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts