Speer 140 gr Deep Curl - Follow up info appreciated

badthirtyone

This thread is being created in response to the now closed and locked classified thread (locked out due to "Sold/Expired" status) regarding the 6.5 mm 140 gr Speer Deep Curl seconds that were purchased by multiple members back in January of this year from Midway. It appeared that Midway was sitting on more than 100k of these in "New Old Stock" condition, and sold as "Seconds" to clear them out.

Now that many months have passed, I am interested to hear how the load work-ups and real world experiences are progressing with the members that have put these bullets into service. I'd also like to know which specific cartridge and application you have used these in, such as 6.5CM vs 6.5PRC et al.

I am particularly interested in anyone that has data on how the un-coated bullets performed vs the HBN coated, as many of us seemed to get one or the other with some members getting a mixture of boxes of each - coated and un-coated.

@B-LOT Banga, the info below was posted by you during that original thread. I wanted to verify that these results were coming from the HBN coated version, correct? And to any other members who are loading and actively hunting with these this year, please update us on velocity, pressure, and terminal performance that you are seeing in the field. Thanks!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Information originally posted by B-Lot Banga -

Factory browning x bolt with a 26" (1-7")
6.5 PRC ADG brass
140 grain speers "seconds"
68.4 gr of US869
COAL at 2.975"
FED 210 primers
1) 2998
2) 2997
3) 3003
4) 3000
5) 3001

outside to outside 5 shot 1.38" at 417 yds

prone, Spartan bipod w/ rear sand bag
55 degrees
Overcast and calm
8,700 ft above sea level

I tried to get another 5 shots but a massive downpour that lasted over an hour destroyed the paper target and any chances of another group as the winds also picked up 20-30 mph!

I'm happy I got a bunch of these bullets. They don't look spectacular but they shoot great and kill sheep instantly, passing through with 2"-3" exit holes. Hopefully my son can get more data on animals this weekend. I did NOT expect performance like this for "seconds"

The Speer seconds I got were not coated and very clean. My son started using the rifle on sheep and goats with superb results, majority of the shots was under 350 yds. These animals weigh approximately 80-150 lbs and the mouflon rams are very hearty so a good shot is a must. According to him this bullet always passed completely through leaving a consistent 2"-3" exit with most animals just dropping. The one massive wild bull he shot at 220 yds broke both shoulder bones and ended up just under the skin on the opposite side intact as the bull ran 40-60 yds before wobbling and laying over.

I recently started playing with a 6.5 MAX with these speers to break the barrel in with the intent of using either the 140 elites or 156 EOL. Starting load 62 gr retumbo and 450 CCI primers in ADG brass seated to the cannulare. All 46 shots went into 1.5" hole @ 100 yds after sighting in the new setup. I will have a hard time switching over because I know these bullets flat out work. A little more tweaking and it should be under MOA. They are accurate with no fliers, consistent performance and very reliable… just a very excellent bullet.

I will do more testing later as I'm obsessed with the quarter bore these last several months. Aloha!!

Attachments

• E63122F8-8FA4-4733-8C5B-FC307B3C884B.jpeg
    E63122F8-8FA4-4733-8C5B-FC307B3C884B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
I got these last January. Looked like they were moly coated at one point. Weighed several and there is about a 1.5 grain variance in weight. Loaded some in my 6.5 Creedmoor. First 2 shots in the same hole and the 3rd about 2 inches high. These bullets were not weighed. Will try again in the future with weight sorted bullets and see how they work.

I got these last January. Looked like they were moly coated at one point. Weighed several and there is about a 1.5 grain variance in weight. Loaded some in my 6.5 Creedmoor. First 2 shots in the same hole and the 3rd about 2 inches high. These bullets were not weighed. Will try again in the future with weight sorted bullets and see how they work.
What powder and velocity are you getting in your CM?

That will be my application as well, so I'm interested in any results from guys like you that are actually shooting them.

I also bought them earlier this year.

They were coated with a gray material, that I assume in HBN, rather than Moly.
Here are the results in my Kimber 84M 6.5 CM with 22" bbl (1:8) using:
RL26
Starline Brass (new) with 52.05 gr H20 cap
Case length 1.912"
COAL 2.660"
CBTO 2.095"
.174" jump (seated with cannelure at neck)
Worked up 3 shot ladder from 45.5-48.5 gr in 0.5 gr increments
70F, 10 mph wind
100 yds
3-31-21

45.5 0.85" group 2705 fps. ES 10
46. 1.04" group. 2733 fps. ES 2
46.5. 2.06" group 2 shots touching at 2750 fps, and the flyer at 2785 fps
47 1.06" group 2774 fps ES 6
47.5 0.93" group 2804 fps ES 3
48 1.94" group 2820 fps ES 25
48.5 1.92" group 2850 fps ES 15
Slight bolt lift at 48.5

47 and 47.5 shot the same POI
I've worked up another batch 46.9, 47.1, 47.3 and 47.5 gr - but it got too hot here in Texas and I haven't shot them yet.

This gun shoots 143 ELD-Xs at 2850 fps at 0.5 - 0.6" groups between 0.090-0.120" off the lands - due to mag length restrictions. But it took some work to get there.

I'm pretty happy initially with these Deep Curls. No weird pressure signs, good ES, and similar velocities vs charge weights as other uncoated 140 class bullets.

I'm planning on using these for sub 300 yd shots on deer and hogs this fall, so the velocity and accuracy performance is acceptable to me. In fact they outshot the loads I worked up with 140gr Partitions, so I sold all remaining bullets - and plan to stick with these 500 deep curls for the future.

I might play with seating depth also, but tend to seat bullets with a cannelure at the neck unless I can't get them to shoot.

Last edited:
Weekend bump to see if any additional member information comes in on these bullets.

From what I can see, folks are in the 2700~2800 fps range out of 6.5 CM's using powders in the range that I'd be experimenting with.