Specialty handgun classifieds

Who makes quality TC barrels. I don't mind paying for quality. Don't have many options in AK
MGM is my go-to for Encore barrels. IF you order from them, send a dummy round with the projectile you want and ask them to cut the throat to that spec. I've sent two barrels back with dummy rounds because they cut them to SAAMI specs, a .357 Max and a .260 Rem. This way you can maximize case capacity in the break action single shot. Both of those barrels shoot multiple loads very, very well. MGM is great to work with and prices are not unreasonable for getting the barrel you want, the want you want it. You can specify twist rate, material, fluting, etc. Now, my barrels are older MGM barrels, before they were making their own blanks. Mine are built on the Douglas blanks after discussion with their techs. A Shilen upgrade was available at that time for $100 extra. I called to find out if it was really worth $100 to upgrade from one excellent maker to another excellent maker. "We have customers who insist on having a barrel on a Shilen blank, so we offer it. The blanks are more expensive. We cannot detect a difference in final quality, straightness, or results on the range. We always recommend the Douglas blank unless we're working with a customer who thinks that Shilen blanks have some sort of magical abilities." I haven't bought a barrel from them since 2015 and they switched over to Preferred Barrel Blanks in 2018. I would assume that the end results are just as good as pre-2018. When I want another Encore barrel, I will order from MGM again without any hesitation.
I just ran the numbers on an identical barrel made by MGM and SSK. SSK is $102 higher than MGM to order the same blued, .357 Max 18" barrel.

Last edited:
MGM is my go-to for Encore barrels. IF you order from them, send a dummy round with the projectile you want and ask them to cut the throat to that spec. I've sent two barrels back with dummy rounds because they cut them to SAAMI specs, a .357 Max and a .260 Rem. This way you can maximize case capacity in the break action single shot. Both of those barrels shoot multiple loads very, very well. MGM is great to work with and prices are not unreasonable for getting the barrel you want, the want you want it. You can specify twist rate, material, fluting, etc. Now, my barrels are older MGM barrels, before they were making their own blanks. Mine are built on the Douglas blanks after discussion with their techs. A Shilen upgrade was available at that time for $100 extra. I called to find out if it was really worth $100 to upgrade from one excellent maker to another excellent maker. "We have customers who insist on having a barrel on a Shilen blank, so we offer it. The blanks are more expensive. We cannot detect a difference in final quality, straightness, or results on the range. We always recommend the Douglas blank unless we're working with a customer who thinks that Shilen blanks have some sort of magical abilities." I haven't bought a barrel from them since 2015 and they switched over to Preferred Barrel Blanks in 2018. I would assume that the end results are just as good as pre-2018. When I want another Encore barrel, I will order from MGM again without any hesitation.
I just ran the numbers on an identical barrel made by MGM and SSK. SSK is $102 higher than MGM to order the same blued, .357 Max 18" barrel.
Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated

Since I just hurt my shoulder, I have become very interested in the Nosler M 48 Independence Pistol for hunting deer in the woods, and hay fields at Modest ranges. . Looks like a fun gun and Ernie likes it. Not giving up my rifles, just something to use now and again, from the box blind in Penn.
Mine shoots great.

Something that has been bouncing around in my nugget lately has been asking for a specialty pistol build section. I feel personally that when I post in this thread with build updates or questions I'm cluttering up the hunting thread.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about cluttering...I doubt we are going to get a number of sections that are dedicated to builds, classifieds, revolvers, etc...
This is just my guess.

You guys have any suggestions.
Len gave us the green light to change the name/description of this section.

My first thought was, "All Things Handguns"

Idk…..but ill add more ideas….
"Shooting and Hunting Handguns"

"Handguns and Handgun Hunting"

"Specialty handgun hunting and shooting"

"Short and Long range handguning"

"Specialty handgun, Revolvers, and Autos"

"Handgun Hunting and Shooting"

Just a few. Idk whats best.