Spec reamer vs custom to your load

jomoeng

I have one custom rifle built and two underway. In helping my dad get started on a build i spoke to a new gunsmith. I found a difference between smiths that I am unclear as to the effect on a build.

Some smiths seam to buy or rent spec reamers for a gun build. Another smith prefers to take the ammo you intend to shoot and have a reamer made for that ammo unless the smith already has a reamer for that caliber and bullet.

So on the next build I am looking at another unconventional chambering. What do you think the difference would be between using a spec reamer or allowing a smith to take a piece of loaded ammo and have a reamer made? Also I have concerns about how a reamer setup for say a 180gr bullet would work with a 210gr and vice-versa.

The smith for my precious build and 2 current builds just uses spec reamers, as far as I know. Another smith I spoke with recommends having a reamer done specifically to your preferred bullet. Having the reamer made seems to add about 200-300 to the build cost but that seems inconsequential in the custom build cost.

I'm going through the same thing. This new rifle is for hunting so want the loads to fit in the mag. I can load the bullets out to 3.600 and still feed through the mag.

If I make the COL 3.590 using a 215gr Berger it will be 0.010 off the lands using a spec reamer and the bullet has good bearing in the case with plenty of room for the charge. This to me is the important thing that way load development starts 0.010 off the lands and works moving away, and the loads will run through the magazine. I have verified this with the smith and all the math seems to jive. I'm going to buy the reamer and hold on to it for future builds in that caliber. Kind of leaning towards Dave Mason Reamers.

Talk with your smith and fully understand the process so you can make wise choices.

I don't claim to be all knowing so this is just my opinion.

I read all the post about "Special" chamber dimensions and also read all the post about the problems
people have with them. So I recommend to anyone that doesn't understand the effects of these changes, Get a Spec reamer and load to mag length and for accuracy.

When you change the chamber to shoot one bullet, you are at risk of poor performance and have no options with other bullets.

I don't have a single rifle that has the bullet seated against the lands or is throated for a particular bullet and I don't have any problem getting less than 1/2 moa with any of them most are 1/4 moa rifles. I do however have a few with more free bore for velocity and these all shoot well under 1/2 moa and like velocity.

If I want more case capacity for a bullet weight I go with a larger standard case instead of seating long and having to alter the chamber and magazine or load one at a time.

If you have to cut a special reamer and chamber then special dies are necessary and all of this will cost more money and perform no better than a standard chamber that is larger and a standard set of dies. Case in point: A standard STW load out performs a 7mm rem mag in the same length action and barrel. the 7mm RUM will top the STW. All of them are standard cartridges.

I am guilty of wanting something different like many others and often make changes. But I understand the draw backs and Make my decisions if the change is worth the trouble and cost.
(I build my own so labor is not a cost that I have to consider)

We all think we can make changes for the better, But the guys that designed there cartridge know
what dimensions will give there cartridge the best combination of accuracy, dependability function and longevity.

So if you want trouble free operation go standard (SAMME), If you don't mind the potential problems then spec the reamer the way you want but be ready for problems.

JUST SOME ADVICE

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for information everyone. JE that was the exact kind of info I was looking for. More of the why do it? Which inherently means addressing the advantages and disadvantages of each method.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.