Speaking of neck tension (IF)

Maybe I'm measuring it wrong. I measure the outside of the case after resizing and after seating the bullet.

The .247" bushing acme today, measuring the outside it's now .004".

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong with this thinking.

If you take two calibers, say a .22 and a .30 and use .002 IF for both and assuming the same seating depth the force to pull or force the bullet out of the .30 caliber will be more due to greater surface contact area?

All else equal, yes. You got it.

It's ridiculous for so many to misnomer interference with tension, as there are more attributes affecting tension than mere interference.
It's similar to relating case weight alone with capacity, or holding base to ogive (BTO) alone with any particular notion of meaning.
Same problem really, and the bigger a mob following, the lower it's ability to accept correction (a counter momentum).

This can be overcome, but I can tell you from experience that it takes decades of effort to influence actual change.

Last edited:
The way this was explained made sense to me.
When you do something wrong for so long and get acceptable outcomes change is hard but not impossible.
Thanks to all for teaching an old dog new tricks!
Old Rooster

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.