Sow Down Amongst The Cattle

Double Naught Spy

A little bit of threading the needle. The landowner was happy with how we clearly out hogs last year, but didn't want us hunting around the livestock. He gave us the go ahead for this year. Of course, the first hog we shoot is amongst the cattle after we managed to spook the hogs...and the shot was a bit of threading the needle. I am perfectly fine with the shot. The question is whether or not the landowner will think it was unsafe. The only rule he gave us was to not shoot the cattle and we didn't, LOL.

The Berger 130 gr. bullet loaded by Precision Firearms performed surprisingly well with excellent penetration despite being a frangible round, even going through light bone.

[ame]https://youtu.be/-_tydob6BqU[/ame]

DNS,

Where've you been? Haven't heard from you in a while.

Ballsy shot! With the price of beef these days, I'd be kinda nervous about taking that shot!

Man, the hogs have not been cooperating. I have been down to Bosque County 4 times this month and seen hogs on three of those visits, but on two of those visits, I was in no shoot situations (on the county road that bisects the property).

At the beginning of the month when we were told we could restart hog control activities, we were told that the hogs looked to mostly be the small pigs that we didn't get last fall, only 6 months larger. We got pulled off of hog hunting so that we did not conflict with the deer hunters who lease the property for dear season. Well, they are 6 months larger, about 70-80 lbs larger, and birthing.

This is one lactating sow out of the way, but we saw at least two more that were long in the teet, indicating that they were nursing.

Ballsy shot? I thought it was well executed. The only question is how the landowner will see it.

Well executed AND ballsy!

I understand about the hogs not cooperating. I pulled 5 trail camera memory sticks yesterday morning and didn't have a single hog photo. The cameras had been out over 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Starting to sound like you really like those Berger bullets!

I am starting to have faith that they are functional, but I am still not exactly getting the stereotypical performance noted. Maybe they don't work as advertised from the lower velocity Grendels (2400-2500 fps vs ~3000 fps for 6.5 Creedmore firing the same bullets).

Cost-wise, the Hornady SST is still more effective for my use.

I will try to shoot a few more hogs and see how the Berger performs. It is an interesting test.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.