South Texas coyotes.

Achapa87

Been hard hunting down south. Coyotes denned up low 100 degree whether. I'm looking for any tips people use to draw them out the dens.prey Distress calls aren't working. On cats it does. The normal rabbit bird, mouse calls bring in cats usually late evening. But im after the dogs. I sat a stand for one hour and 20 mins last night vocalizing with a group to my left last night. They'd respond to the locator than howl and bark during the pup distress sequence nothing ever showed they got closer but didn't commit. I was set up between cover and water with a lot of game in the area. Any tips are thanked.

Challenge howling back and forth. I have never won that howling contest. I think for the most part they are lovers not fighters. Perhaps just a lone howl and then wait them out. Not another sound. A lot of times their curiosity will kill the coyote. That might have won the night on that night. I also think you were busted. You now have the upper hand since you now know where they live. Wait for a wind change. Move in close to their home on the opposite side from where you called before. Be especially careful. You have to get in there without being seen, heard , or smelled. Start with cottontail distress on low volume. If no response, female submissive howl medium volume. Then not a sound.
If that doesn't work wait a few months. The pups should become active and try your pup distress again.

The thing was the wind was directly in my face and call was out front about 75 yards they were to the left. You might be right busted but we went back and forth for awhile

You set up correctly for the wind. However, there are a dozen other things that will get you busted." We went back and forth for awhile". Unlike turkey hunting I have never had any luck challenge howling( calling back and forth). I have gone back the next day on a wind change after the challenge howling and got'm.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts