South Dakotans! Where you at?

Hello all
I live in Rapid City.... IE Box Elder

F-class and High power. also some BR in Pierre. Spend lots of time at the Chip. I like having some place I can go and NOT see all of the TRASH that is at Beretta or at Buffalo Gap.

would be willing to hook up to go to Byers Co. or Aliance NE any time or any other shoot.

I was wondering if you were gonna surface again. Now that you're all set up, I may have to wander up there and buy lunch.

I'm in S.F, I shoot at the SF Benchrest club,out to 300. And the County LEO range which if can get to 450. I put 5 in 1.8 at 300 while breaking in a new barrel last week, looks promising for no load developemnet.gun) As mentioned earlier the best gunsmith( hands down) in the area is Stan Wear. SGR gunsmithing Westbrook MN. I think he is retired but still will build stuff if you ask.

I was out to the Buffalo Chip Monday to look the place over and it was a bit disappointing. There was only one target holder at each range from 100 to 600 from what I seen and it looked like you had to bring your own cardboard to put on the target holders to put your targets on. I talked to another guy that shoots there and he said that normally they have plywood on the target holders so maybe they take it down when its closed. Shooting towards the airport didn't grab me either but then there is a big hill between the target and the airport so maybe that isn't a problem. I'm going to have to check it out some more as the range was closed that day and I'm going to have to go back when its open to see whats really going on.

I'm sitting good in Rapid. Moved here last Oct. Anyone have experience hunting in area 15b, north of Belle Fourche? The wife and I drew "any deer" tags for this area.

I read your post on your wedding Jarhead 1371 and am still laughing. I seen it. Heck of a great start for a marriage. Go to the Gun Library and ask around you might find me. :)
Anyway, glad to have you here. We need to get a something going to get a decent place to shoot long range. Nothing here past 600 yds and I am beginning to miss my 1400 yd range I use to have access to. 600 is just no fun once to been to 1400.

Huron here, There's a group of us that shoot long range steel whenever we can(100-800), everything from .17 rem to .308. nothing big or organized just a few yahoos that like to bang steel. We're really just in the infancy of the LR game. Starting our first custom builds and trying to get serious about it.

There's a couple local fellas that shoot out at the VHA range and follow the 600-1000 yard br/ fclass game out to denver, but i only know them by reputation.

Hey Gents,

I'm out in Sturgis. If you get bored come by the shop sometime.

I've talked with Stephanie from the Buffalo Chip. She's the marketing guru in charge of all things that go bang on the range. My understanding is the fees were initially in the 350 dollar range. They've been reduced to around 160.00/year. I don't think they have a work bond but I'm not sure.

I shot out there a few weeks ago and it's not bad. The enclosed firing points leave a bit to be desired. They put up a good effort but shooting from a bench off a wooden deck is a challenge when other shooters are walking around. Your scope sees every footstep. . . They have a baffle to mitigate ricochets making it back to the firing line. For a guy shooting position the firing line will need to be forward of this as trying to shoot offhand isn't going to work.

The range sees the full brunt of what a Wyoming wind has to offer so it's a great place to hone up your skills.

I talked to her about offering some help with possibly hosting a reduced Palma or 600 yard match. The response I got was quite positive. Just takes someone to get the moving pieces together because she admitted that she just doesn't have much experience with running a match.

So we'll see what happens I guess.

Chad

Last edited:
I'm from Bowdle, but I go to school at SDSMT in RC.

I'm not terribly new to long range shooting, but I don't get to practice much since a 300RUM is kind of spendy to shoot for a college student Because of that, I'm in the market for a 308. Let me know if any of you find a deal on one. :rolleyes:

That would be my little sister. I am actually headed to artesian tonight. Gonna try to bag my 700 yard deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts