South Carolina piggies

I've got a cousin that has a house in Greenwood and works in Georgia. Is there any where near there to hunt wild bacon?

Might be a fun way to try my 300 before deer season.

there are only private properties and good luck if you get permission to hunt. people are very cautious of allowing people they do not know hunt on their property. also you may check on the WMA's managed by SCDNR. they too are very restrictive. If by chance you have a relationship of some years with a game warden they may be able to help you find a place. Your luck is slim. How do I know, I live in the Upstate and hunt game zone 2. You are better off booking a hunt in Texas. sorry for the not so good news, but I have been battling this issue for years.

there are only private properties and good luck if you get permission to hunt. people are very cautious of allowing people they do not know hunt on their property. also you may check on the WMA's managed by SCDNR. they too are very restrictive. If by chance you have a relationship of some years with a game warden they may be able to help you find a place. Your luck is slim. How do I know, I live in the Upstate and hunt game zone 2. You are better off booking a hunt in Texas. sorry for the not so good news, but I have been battling this issue for years.
Thank you for the info!

This is very true in private land here. We don't tend to trust much of anyone.

This is very true in private land here. We don't tend to trust much of anyone.
I normally hunt on my own land at home. But the one time I went somewhere else, was hunting in a large Apple Orchard. I wrote up a waiver saying the landowner wasn't responsible for anything that happened to me, in any form. Basically I wrote it, so even if his dog ran me down and but me, he was not liable. I wrote it in front of a notary and got it notarized. I then gave that to the land owner and he felt a lot better about the whole thing.

I normally hunt on my own land at home. But the one time I went somewhere else, was hunting in a large Apple Orchard. I wrote up a waiver saying the landowner wasn't responsible for anything that happened to me, in any form. Basically I wrote it, so even if his dog ran me down and but me, he was not liable. I wrote it in front of a notary and got it notarized. I then gave that to the land owner and he felt a lot better about the whole thing.
Yeah. Some people are ok, but no one I know would go that route. People are far too sketchy these days.

Upstate SC here also but in Game Zone 1 and not knowing any owners of large tracts of land limits me to WMAs. That isn't too bad in that hunting big woods is my preference but given that I work for a living and Sunday hunting is forbidden but only for public land, my season is eleven or twelve days but I pay the same license fee. :mad:

Upstate SC here also but in Game Zone 1 and not knowing any owners of large tracts of land limits me to WMAs. That isn't too bad in that hunting big woods is my preference but given that I work for a living and Sunday hunting is forbidden but only for public land, my season is eleven or twelve days but I pay the same license fee. :mad:
Virginia let's us hunt Sundays now. Anyone from SC want to help me kill a pig sometime?

I've heard their shoulders are hard to get through. I'm assuming that applies to a .223 or .243? Seems like any bullet in a 30 mag would go through easily.

Virginia let's us hunt Sundays now. Anyone from SC want to help me kill a pig sometime?

I've heard their shoulders are hard to get through. I'm assuming that applies to a .223 or .243? Seems like any bullet in a 30 mag would go through easily.
They are tough and mean as hell. Guys talk about killing big boars with .223's and head shots but my life isn't that boring to risk it in that manner. Anything from 6.5 on up is fine as long as you use a quality partition type bullet like a heavy Swift A-Frame (my personal preference) or Nosler Partition. Monolithic open nose like Barnes will kill them, but over penetration without adequate expansion can be a problem. I don't trust bonded soft points like Accubonds anymore; I've seen them come apart on the shoulder of a buck at 30 yards out of a 6.5x55. If I can get close enough for handgun, it's going to be .41-.45 bore hard cast lead with wide meplat. They work too. Your mileage may vary.

I've probably killed 40 hogs most with a 257 Roberts & 115 partations. They are not that hard to kill & I've never been charged. Hunting them with dogs & a knife are a different story.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.