Source for ghillie suits

hey_poolboy

I am looking to buy/ build a ghillie suit. I can't find a local source, so I thought I would probably buy online. Has anyone had any dealings with any online stores. Ghiiliesuits.com is one in particular one I have looked at. I just want to make sure I don't get "taken".

I had a Marine buddy tell me how to build a guilly suit once. Get some camo netting, fishing line, burlap sacks, and dyes colors of your choice.

Cut camo netting in a rough pattern for hood, shirt and pants. use the fishing line to "sew" (tie) the netting together. Cut the burlap into strips and dye to suit your needs. Then tie the burlap strips onto the patterns you've made. He stated for better effect, it is better to shred or unravel the burlap, after you have tied it on, to give it the "hairy look."

I have seen some suits that were not shredded and some that were. What ever you like best. Should be easy to find a source for these materials.

Another way to build is to sew your strips of died burlap to an old oversized set of BDUs which can be purchased used at most Army/Navy stores. You'll want to buy the BDUs about 2 sizes too big so that you can wear them over other clothing if needed and I prefer the heavy weight fabric to the ripstop for improved wear. Sew your died burlap strips on in a random pattern or just sew them on in roughly the same colors as the underlying BDUs everywhere but the front so when your low crawling you don't have to fight your Ghillie snagging on everything in sight. Once all your strips are sewed on you can go to shredding the burlap. Once your burlap developes a good knapp you can stick vegatation in it to help you blend in even better. I find this suit easier to get on and off, but it aint fun to wear in hot weather.:rolleyes:

This series of Youtube videos give a detailed tutorial for building your own, and show many different styles from a lightweight head cover to a full military style suit.

YouTube - How to make a Ghillie Suit 1/9

If you want to buy one already made Custom Concealment are the best commercial ones I've seen.

I've tried to find BDU's that I could use, but it's hard to find 3x BDUs. :) Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have to check out the rest of the videos, they look helpful.

i found rather than sewing the burlap using a DIY hot glue gun works better faster and provides a stronger bond for the burlap. i then use a wire brush to fray the burlap, if you can get the " camo" burlap for making "goose/duck" blinds and inter-mix it with the "regular" color, it saves time dying or painting it. i've found i can make a suit in about 2 hours, from the first cut to trying it on. it helps to have someone model the suit so you can see any gaps or spots that require touch-up. using this technique i've made woodland desert and snow ghillies

I've tried to find BDU's that I could use, but it's hard to find 3x BDUs. :)

Just FYI I was thinking of 3x so I could get them on over my winter clothes.

I ordered a kit from Miles Tactical. They were great to shop with. I received my package in 3 days even w/o expedited shipping. They even replied to emails promptly, and gave me the tracking number immediately upon shipment.

So, after about 32 hours of knot tying and such my ghillie suit is all done. I used it this morning to try taking a couple of yotes. No luck on the yotes, but I should have tried the crows. I had 5 crows sitting in the tree just above me...they never knew I was there. :) I'll try to get some pics and post them this week.

lol thats great! i had a magpie land on my barrel, and look at itself in the reflextion of my objective lens, nothing cooler then when you really feel like a part of the enviroment, wait til the fist song dog walks right up to you sits down and tilts its head trying to figure out "what the heck is that thing?" good luck good huntin'

Well your first problem is using a ghillie suit to try to kill a coyote. That just isn't going to work so well for you. I would suggest putting down the ghillie suit and use a rifle instead. You will kill far more coyotes with a rifle than you will a ghillie suit.

Well your first problem is using a ghillie suit to try to kill a coyote. That just isn't going to work so well for you. I would suggest putting down the ghillie suit and use a rifle instead. You will kill far more coyotes with a rifle than you will a ghillie suit.

:rolleyes: Ha! Ha! In the future I will try to relate my adventures/ misadventures in a more articulate and grammatically correct manner.

Consequently, my wife made a similar remark when she read it.

Now that you know how much work is actually involved, in the future if you wish to just buy some of the best ghillies ever built by mankind then let me know and I will point you in the proper direction.

Greg

I'll just be honest. I'm just plain too cheap to buy some things. Not that I don't think they are worth it, I just try to spend my limited "play" money wisely.

Well 32 hours of my time could be much better spent doing something else. I guess I put a monetary value on my time since I can bill myself out as a consultant. Also, after you tie up a few ghillies it ain't so much fun any more hahahaha

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.